After market upgrade 300tdi intercooler

Hi guys

is anyone running an after market 300tdi up graded intercooler ( same as a std one but a bit thicker ) they claim they give 30% increace in power and are between £100-£200 depending on make.

i know the Allisport ones are supposedly the best and give the same power increase but are vertually twice as much, what do you think 

If you are running 20 psi or lower, you will get zero gains from a larger intercooler.  I've tested it.  You can probably get a bit if you want to run higher boost.  There is no 30%.  That is a claim that makes no factual sense whatsoever.  Once you have the fueling and timing set to give the highest safe EGTs and boost as high as you are willing to go, a bit more cooling of the intake charge is only going to add a few percent at best.  In this case, there is nothing to be had at normal boost levels.  I've done back to back tests with the stock and larger intercoolers and there has been no effect on EGTs.

1 hour ago, reb78 said:

So what boost are you running out of interest?

Not sure as I haven't fitted the 300 turbo yet as it's on my to buy list, the FIP was already tweaked before I bought the engine which was in my 90 before I sold it as I fitted a Disco engine to that and kept the Defender engine for the 2a but will be x dressed engine as the original Def timing case was damaged so replaced it with a Disco one and replacing the Def 200 manifolds and fitting 300 setup as the new turbo and SP exhaust kit works out a couple of hundred quid cheaper.

But from what everyone's said it's not worth fitting a bigger intercooler so I will leave it and fit a std intercooler instead :)

17 hours ago, Red90 said:

I've done back to back tests with the stock and larger intercoolers and there has been no effect on EGTs.

I replaced the stock intercooler on my 300tdi with a larger Alisport-one, and the EGT was lowered ~20-30°C on the highway, running 90-100km/h.

I also moved changed so I measure pressure on the intake manifoil (after the intercooler), instead of Turbo housing (before the intercooler). The wastegate pressure also comes from the manifoil.

Turbo pressure is ~1.2 bar.

Edited by finnarne

Cheer's guys for all your help, yeah I'm not really into tweaking stuff to be honest but as said the FIP was already done before I bought the engine and with fitting the engine into the 2a and raising the gearing I was kind of hoping the bigger intercooler on its own would have helped in some way without tweaking the turbo so I will just have to see how it is with the std intercooler fitted, I also think I mite be over thinking it a bit aswell and probably wouldn't need it anyway but we will see :)