Can anyone recommend a press

Can anyone please recommend a decent press? They all seem to differ price wise for what seems to be the same thing.  Is it worth getting a floor standing one? It will mainly be for bearings but it will obviously be used for other pressey things when needed. Anything to look out for or avoid? Or is it just a jack housed in an RSJ and aslong as it works nothing else really matters?

Being able to move the press ram along the rail is useful and variable height too . A selection of bearer blocks - plain face,  holes and notches are good too . Tonnage probably no less than 25T ?  Free standing allows it to be moved for those really awkward shape things that will inevitably end up in your workshop when word gets around that you have a press :)

cheers

Steve b

Yeah 20t minimum, get a floor standing one, otherwise you run out of space quickly, also look for a wider press, 450mm opening as a minimum really...

I paid around £100 for mine, new, and has been great, was just on eBay.

I made it up to 22tonnes on the gauge just pressing an A-frame ball joint in the other day. Buy the biggest you can. If buying a massive one look out for one with a winch to adjust the bed height, it’s much easier 

I got my 30 tonne on eBay for about £160. I can go look at the sticker the seller put on if you like. It's floor standing and I put it on casters as it's heavy. I had it delivered to work then fork lifted it into the back of the car as I couldn't pick it up on my own. I've done drop arms but I had that feeling of it's going to hurt me! Floor standing is handy if your pushing bearings off half shafts like on suzuki sjs as you can have the shaft dangling down. 

You need to get some bits of strong flat steel to balance stuff on. I also made some bits for bending plate and i can do 450mm x 4mm thick. It needs some guides making though as at the moment it doesn't come down exactly parallel which effects the quality of the bend. 

The stroke on the jack is a bit short so have to pack things out.

A pressure gauge would be nice so you have some idea how hard your pushing on stuff as it's not always easy to tell. I saw a mod someone had done by drilling into the jack and fitting a pressure gauge so it's on my list of things to do.

If your doing a lot of work then you can get better but for what I do and what it costs I can't fault it.

I built one - well still haven't finished it but it's been put to good use so far. I've got a free source of scrap off-cuts but what this place considers as off-cuts quite often tend to be 5ft+...

I've just used a 25t bottle jack although I've currently got it in pieces as I'm modifying it to run upside down. Total cost so far has been some wire for the welder and £40 for the bottle jack. It's done most things I've thrown at it but I want to build in some more bracing as I've already bent some 1/2" plate I was using as a brace trying to push out a bush and the scraps forming the top bracket have bent slightly.

Thanks for your help everyone. 

The thought of making my own did cross my mind but by the time it's done it would have probably been more economical for me to buy one.  

Cynic-al, I would appreciate it if you could have a look, from what I can see from the poor eBay photos presses seem to be akin to engine hoists where there are only 3 different types, all made in the same factory and the only difference is the colour and sticker on the side

@dangerous doug, my mistake, I paid a little more than that, as I went for a heavier duty/wider version, this was it, still being sold: 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-T-Ton-Tonne-Hydraulic-Workshop-Press-Garage-Press-BLUE-WIDER-THAN-OTHERS-/162682767266?hash=item25e0a607

I went with the optional v-blocks etc, which are invaluable...

Good seller, helpful chap.

Doug,

ive got a 15t that looks similar to Bowie’s. I’ve had it about 10 years and got it from Northern Tool Supplies.

its done countless suspension arms and bearings although it has gone to its max a couple of times. I’m on my second bottle jack but the scariest failure was the cast base plates, they both exploded under load, with rather a loud bang. I bought replacements from Zim who was advertising them in the sales section, excellent pieces that are far better.

its also worth getting a set of seal drivers and a set of bearing drivers and you’ll probably find yourself building up an arsenal of useful pieces of steel to use as spacers etc, mine are in an old tin on the base and include bearing tracks etc

2 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Time to buy some Dimple Dies then Doug :D:P

You absolute slag! I forgot all about those! 

I guess ill I'll have to buy a big stick with the dies to fend off the other half if she finds out how much I've spent lol

7 hours ago, Cynic-al said:

Probably a bit late but I bought an engine hoist from this company and they seemed pretty good. Which ever you get in sure it'll be handy! The hydraulic jack ones are definitely better than the bottle jack ones.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-equipment/hydraulic-press

As much as I do like the black it does reinforce my point about there all made in the same factory in China. Their 20t unit looks like a black version of the one I just bought.....for an extra £80

We have a 30T Sealey press at work which looks the same as the one Doug has just bought. It is good but I wouldn't mind a bit more fine tuning of the table height as there is a big jump between the holes. Either that or a longer cylinder. 

I've pressed out my radius and trailing arm bushes over the last couple of lunch times and they took around 20T to initially break free. I'll be doing the A frame ball joint next week which I think will take a bit more persuasion. 

just as a pointer (and not wishing to teach anyone to suck eggs) but you can greatly reduce the amount of force needed and the risk of damaging the component in many cases by applying a shock load whilst pressure is applied in the press.

E.g. pressing out a something and with 10 Ton applied, a sharp whack on the casing of the item you are trying to extract from with a hammer often means it will start to move and the pressure gauge jump down.

It is relatively easy to smash cast components with a press if you are too heavy handed and this really does help

• Like 1

pressing on! It arrived today 

First impressions, the Chinese and I seem to have different ideas on the amount of washers you should use on an assembly,  I ran out half way through the job but what should I expect for £200. But it did all go together with out persuasion from hammers drills and/or grinders which I was surprised about. Not tested it out properly yet but the ram has a decent amount of travel and retracts by its self

also, I don't think the holes were tapped out by machines....

please se pay no notice to the mess, I'm in the middle of a clear out

IMG_1720.thumb.JPG.1799f0662e1e0ce370c48c32e0793b83.JPG

IMG_1721.thumb.JPG.77d9bf6144780cf2ec23391ef8b52ca6.JPG

so now I can deal with all my pressing matters! BOOM!