SRS Faulted whilst bleeding brakes

James NZ

Hi guys,

last Friday I was checking over my D2 V8 prior to taking it in for its annual WOF (MOT). Since fitting new flexi brake lines the brakes have been a bit soft, so I decided to bleed them again! I used Nanocom Evolution to bleed the ABS unit and then bleed the calipers as per the manual. The brakes came up a lot better but on test driving the car the SRS light would not extinguish. And it still doesn't. I put the Nanocom on to test for faults and got the following -

Code 008

The drivers airbag measures open circuit

(Permanent)

So I checked the connection under the drivers seat as I recently took the seat out. Looking on the net it would seem that the next culprit is the Rotary coupler? Would the above fault code indicate that it is the rotary coupler?

The only other relevant info is that the SRS light came on about two weeks after my wading problem back in June 4th which I posted about. The SRS light stayed on for about a month and then went out and was good until last Friday.

I'd appreciate any help with the fault code.

Thanks, James

Hi James, Don't recognise that format for Evo codes - usually something like 10-4, but I have a TD5. It does sound like it could be the coupling. Do all your other steering wheel controls work? If they do it might be worth taking the steering wheel air bag off and checking that the wire is connected to the bag. Make sure you disconnect the battery for 30 mins beforehand to discharge the bag.

Griff

You could try disconnecting the SRS loom from the rotary coupler,if my memory serves me right there will be a shorting bar in the plug.This should change the code to a short circuit fault rather than open circuit.This then puts the fault up at the rotary coupler/airbag area.The plugs from the coupler onto the airbag itself rarely, if ever give trouble,I've never seen one come apart in service.

BTW, the waiting 30 mins after disconnecting the battery doesn't happen in any workshops I  know of,we all rip the lead off and get on with it,the shorting bars prevent any nasties happening.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies guys. Ally V8 & sierrafery should I buy the fault light on ebay or is it simply a case of buying a 2.2 ohm resisitor and 2 amp fuse and making my own? Either way it will be this coming weekend before I can have another look into it. Cheers, James

Well clearly my memory is not that good,maybe I should shutup... Of course you could also just disconnect the rotary coupler completely and see if its gone open circuit with a multimeter,if you don't have a resistor handy.

Edited by Ally V8

Hi guys,

thank you for the suggestions on what to look for. Turned out to be the rotary coupling. So replaced with a second hand one from my parts car for now, but I'll replace that with a new one as it also is quite old. Most importantly, it passed the WOF (MOT) so all legal to drive on the road again.

Cheers, James NZ