Is my ECU toasted? 10p TD5 2001 110.

So I didn't secure the battery and the positive battery terminal hit the front wall of the battery box when I went over a bump. I heard a loud shrill noise from under me(LHD) and the engine died.

The picture is after I have re positioned the terminal on the battery.

Does that mean the ecu is shot? I dont hear the fuel pump and no glow plugs indication on the cluster. I disconnected the ECU and I still have the same number of lights going off on the cluster as with the ecu connected. Is there a way to check the ecu? I checked ALL the fuses and they are fine.

Its a 2001 10p TD5 Defender 110. ECU MSB000080

Is there a way to confirm if the ecu is dead? And if it is, what are my options? I am based in Islamabad Pakistan and an ECU, NNN500020 is available to me can I use that I am not sure which vehicle it is from.

Appreciate your help!

AA (1).jpg

AA (2).jpg

In your situation all you can do is to get the wiring diagram and check all the feeds and earths to the ECU.Did the car use alarm fobs,if it did the chances are the engine ECU will be set to robust immobilisation.The NNN50020 ecu would be fine,but you would probably need to use a diagnostic tool such as Nanocom to do a security relearn.To just prove the ecu you don't need to worry about injector codes,the security learn is enough to run it.Without diagnostic kit if you plug the NNN unit in you will probably find it will crank,fire a few times,then die.

Ok, but the car is still likely to have an alarm/immobilser ecu - the green Lucas 10 10AS unit.(Google it for pics,located behind the dash on RHD,can't remember on LHD) If you are very lucky the NNN unit you say you have may not be set to robust immobilisation,in which case the car should start and run.(Assuming thats all thats wrong) If it is set to Robust then you will need to do a security relearn with Nanocom or similar to get it to go.

It would be good to hook up a Nanocom anyway,see if the old ECU is awake,see what live data you can get from it.You can also read the injector codes from it to input into the new init if you need to.