defender heater controls

Hi all , the heater control that controls the fan speed is knackered found a new one latest part number STC4848 but they come in at £85 that's for a genuine part though, so thought I'd ask if the strip on the mechanism that alters the fan speed can be repaired ? which I very much doubt or if anyone has upgraded this control for something else ? Have done a search but found nothing and thought I'd ask on here to see if there's a cheaper option before a part with £85 .

cheers Ian

Are you sure it's the control? Does the fan run at max-speed if you put the lever fully down but not-at-all on the 'slower' speeds - if so it could be that the resistor-block has failed.

[JGK100160 being the part no. for this if it has]

the fan fast speed [lever fully down has direct 12 v power feed] the slow 1st speed goes via the resistor, simonb on here has a resistor kit which increase the slow speed 

there is a contact strip inside the cream coloured casing, but to access it to examine/clean you have to drill out the rivets 

you can see the subject switch in https://www.johnrichardssurplus.co.uk/heater-control-switch-stc4848.html

Cheers western , yes got one of simonb's kits brought it off ebay . Its been playing up for a while push the lever down sometimes it works first time others you have to push it down a few times to get it to work ,now it won't work at all on fast think the strip is knackered . Can you buy a new strip to replace it ?

I’d also second westerns comment about the cable. Mines kept clicking off for no reason. Turned out the cable through the dash was too tight and needed pulled through a bit and resecured to the heater box

Cheers all it moves all the way to the bottom it clicks at the end and doesn't move back up but it doesn't alter the fan speed at all  now it was fine up to a few weeks ago then it seems to stop working will check it over though , have seen a couple of used ones but think I'd rather buy new I know it's going to last then so better get ready to prize my wallet open :( .

The contact strip for the switch is typical 1970s Lucas quality. I would take the switch and cable plate assembly off the binnacle and then clean the switch contact studs with cotton buds dipped in meths, followed by a polish up with some Brasso. Its all low tech and easy to get to.

Mines does 3, not sure if that’s standard. 1st click is like it’s ready to go, 2nd click, low setting. 3rd click full. Just wondering if there’s something preventing it from the 3rd click? 

3 hours ago, DC_ said:

Mines does 3, not sure if that’s standard. 1st click is like it’s ready to go, 2nd click, low setting. 3rd click full. Just wondering if there’s something preventing it from the 3rd click? 

1st click is the flap open, the next two control the fan speeds. Fully "off" closes the flap and stops natural airflow. Fitting the speed modulator I linked to does away with the facility to shut the flap and is left in the open position. Just means you get airflow through the heater when moving at speed.

12 minutes ago, Scotts90 said:

No, still forwards when fitted to the proper side of the vehicle lol.

I had to extend the wiring approx 12" for the heater splice and sited the unit on front of the heater box, not on the side as suggested by the LHD instructions.

I ask because LHD has the heater speed on the right (as shown on the web page).  RHD has the switch on the left.  You would think this would make it work backwards (up for faster).

• 3 years later...

Hi All,

Got my dash apart today to put a raptor dash in and thought I would look at my heater switch while I was at it.....................🙄

My control switch feels really tight moving up and down in the mid position and also only has full speed on the switch so thought I would clean up the switch and grease the mechanism.

I have taken it apart and cleaned the switch (drilled out the rivets and used plastic electrical nuts and bolts to out it back together) so that's fine (yet to test it though).

However, with the cable to the heater box disconnected the mechanical arm still feels really right in the mid position. Is it meant to be that tight? 

The mechanism itself has quite a lot of play in it but it just doesn't feel right compared to the controls on the right hand side.

Any ideas? Is it worth biting the bullet and ordering another one (they are quite a bit spendy).  I had thought about getting a landreiziger but I think it just replaces the electrical component but still needs the mechanical controls to the heater box?

All the best

🙂