Defender windscreen glass question

1996 110 SW

My windscreen has started to leak through the rubber seal along the bottom of the glass and I’ve started to chase the leak with rtv but it’s not working.

Is replacing this glass seal a diy job or should I use the experts? As the glass isn’t broken there’s no insurance possibility.  

At the same time I thought maybe a heated screen would be a good upgrade. I wonder what experience there is with out there with these ones http://www.heatedwindscreen.com

I’m thinking fit, quality and effectiveness of heating elements.

As ever, any advice is gratefully received.

Thanks  

This is on the list of jobs for me too.

I already have the heated windscreen and am thinking of making up the wiring harness myself rather than spending the £100 odd pounds buying one.

Regarding the windscreen fitting, people say it's doable by a home diyer like us and I even asked a windscreen fitter if he would fit it and he said it's relatively easy and I should be able to fit it myself! There's also the worry of someone breaking it, so I will gather my courage up and fit it myself! There's yet another winter coming our way....will I get it fitted in time!......

Steve

34 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I've seen it done DIY -  a mate fitted the heated screen in the ambulance as he's done Defender screens before, I didn't want to damage a heated screen - if it was a standard one I'd have risked it as they're only £30.

Who was the mate?! I might get him to fit mine!

Steve

I watched the professional change mine just over a year ago.. He failed to get the old screen out without damage, although he could have cut the old surround if he had been worried about preserving the glass.

Putting the new screen in, with new rubber he said the secret was to not rush, not force it and take all the time you need... He gently slapped the screen with his open palm when it wasn't dropping in fully...

If dropping a new screen in, my advice would be to refresh the paint on the screen surround. 

Mine started started leaking a while after the installation and it was the corroded metal around the screen rubber causing a poor seal on the edges and effectively acting a bit like a wick transferring water from the outside to the inside.

If you have a chance, fit new onto good fresh / clean surfaces and run sealant around the seal between frame and rubber to be sure....

Hmm I can see I’ll have to do two lots of research. One to see how it’s done and two to see if I can find an installer. I’m sure the professionals will do a perfect job  but I suppose it will be expensive as their usual paymaster is an insurance company.

I watched an A4 screen change a few years ago and it was slick. 

2 hours ago, steve200TDi said:

Who was the mate?! I might get him to fit mine!

It was Miketomcat - he used the string method.

Peaklander - there's a world of difference between fitting a modern screen and a Defender one, most modern stuff is bonded and flush, the Defender is an old school rubber seal. You might find a commercial (truck/bus/plant) glazier would do it for a few quid cash in hand.

Yes that’s true. I have in the past changed rear quarters and alpine rubbers (they really were a fiddle as I tried to ensure that I’d got the seals cut long enough).

When I get in front of the laptop I’ll have a surf for installers.

By the way Fridge, completely OT, in t’amubulance, do you have access from cab into rear or do you have to go outside? Reason for asking is that SWMBO is angling towards a motorhome and whilst an ambulance fits the bill it might not if the access is as I suspect. I don’t want to move away from a Landrover if I can avoid😀

I fitted my heated screen, using the string (use paracord...it won't break). I did splurge on a genuine seal and have had no issues with leaks. An assistant is useful but not necessary (I managed solo) and having strong fingers to pry and manipulate the seal as you go helps. Having the seal warm also makes it more pliable so keep it inside rather than leaving in the cold, or a few minutes in front in the space heater.

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

There wasn't access front to rear but it's not hard to make - details + photos in the Mk1 camper conversion write-up ^_^

Fridge I'm really sorry but I totally forgot to look at your thread, in fact I have never looked at the Mk1 thread! Now I've got home I have showed my Wife and she's certainly interested, asking me why I haven't read it and shown her before :blush:

1 hour ago, Scotts90 said:

I fitted my heated screen, using the string (use paracord...it won't break). I did splurge on a genuine seal and have had no issues with leaks. An assistant is useful but not necessary (I managed solo) and having strong fingers to pry and manipulate the seal as you go helps. Having the seal warm also makes it more pliable so keep it inside rather than leaving in the cold, or a few minutes in front in the space heater.

54 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

Did mine with paracord type stuff - pretty nerve-wracking but went in okay. Not sure I'd risk a heated one... we'll see!

Your screen could always accidentally get broken, you know how crazy pigeons on the motorway are? :ph34r:

Well that's giving me confidence. I will go for a heated screen, I now just need some feedback from anyone who can recommend a supplier. As I said at the top, I have wondered about these ones http://www.heatedwindscreen.com

• 4 months later...

Ok , thanks for the quick reply , im going to bite the bullet and get one from them , the only other supplier i found is on ebay and wont post , i think he's up around the Leeds area and im right down in Aldershot so collection would be a right faff , thanks once again and good luck with the chassis swap .

12 hours ago, western said:

I had my heated screen fitted by a local windscreen installer with a new seal [supplied by me] it only cost me 20 quid on a slow saturday morning, my screen has the 3 terminals & I had it fitted with terminals at the top. 

Mrs Peaklander's Golf has developed a crack that is going to require a replacement. So I'm soon going to be visited by a local installer who can hopefully give me some advice and maybe even come back and do the job on the important vehicle.

10 hours ago, HampshireHog said:

Great stuff - thanks

On 26/02/2018 at 7:02 AM, mad_pete said:

Depending on your trust of Land Rover magazines Lro international Jan edition has fitting heated screen to defender work through in it.  The one with Vinne Jones on front.

Would it be breaking any rules if you were to post or message a couple of pics of just that article? It's just like borrowing the mag to read it isn't it? :unsure: