Didco 1 temp gauge reading

blz6662

Hi all,

Can anyone help with a small niggle with my 3.5 efi V8 (1992 hotwire auto).

After getting the old girl back on the road and flying through the MOT :) I've done a few hundred miles (a good shakedown after major refurb) and all good except one small niggle.

Initially the temp gauge always held steady right in the middle of the gauge as previous refurb, but over the miles on start-up to the first opening of the stat the gauge climbs just a couple of mm above centre line (nowhere near the next mark though). After this it tends to drop back almost to centre but not quite, so I fitted a new genuine 84 degree stat as already fitted. After bleeding out the air and having a good run it's still the same. I have now run the truck about another 150 miles since then and is still the same, although the needle is not getting any higher in traffic or under load. Just this couple of mm over centre and almost bang on centre.

Any ideas? the system now has new antifreeze, no movement or noise from water pump, radiator in excellent order and new top & bottom hoses.

Could this be the water pump loosing efficiency or something else I need to prepare for.

The Disco is running beautifully, smooth, no missing etc.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

blz6662

Just what I was going to say. Gen LR (VDO?) gauges never wonder far from vertical unless there is an overheat situation at which point it is almost too late!   :o  They show  rising warm up (or not - failed stats) warm up and "ok!!"  :mellow:  They don't lie - they're just economical with the truth!   :D

You and I will have to fit a good after market gradated gauge to watch for the subtleties of temperature changes as the stat begins to open and close and engine characteristics when is working hard or not or the ambients are variable....  :)