Painting the chassis of my 6x6 Defender in Africa

Hi All,

As you might have read in another thread I am preparing my 6x6 Land Rover Defender for an overland trip across Africa. I am in Ghana at the moment.

The chassis is in great conditions - I want to paint it as i will be staying on the coast for long.

I have found the Jotun products here so will be applying jotamastic-87-aluminium (https://www.smlmarinepaints.co.uk/primers/jotamastic-range/jotamastic-87-aluminium)

The bodyshell is still mounted - the truck will be raised from the ground and the Jotamastic applied in situ 

Few questions:

-how shall i prep the surface of the chassis? would a thorough wash with a strong water jet be sufficient or shall i also wire-brush?
-besides the chassis also the external lower part of the bodywork will be painted (the external part of the floor) + the axles - any advice on how to best do that?
-it will be applied with airless gun - anything that I should cover to avoid it painting (e.g. calipers, fuel hoses, ..)
-the local vendor told me that it can be atomised within the cavities (like you'd do with Dinistrol) - what are your thoughts on that?
-Would applying a top-coat have any impact on the resistance of it? I don't mind the cosmetic look

Thanks very much,

Simone

Easy option steam clean/jet wash. I didn’t have that option (well not really) but I went down the wire brush route. Yes it takes ages...... but I’d say it gives you better surface to paint. What are doing about the inside of the chassis?