Time for a new LR/4x4, suggestions please

landrover598

Now that i've retired my defender for a long term rebuild and am selling my works transit I need suggestions for a replacement landy / 4x4 that will be my only every day transport.  I think i know which model fits most of my criteria but am open to suggestions of something i haven't considered.

It needs to be a comfortable motorway cruiser / everyday commuter / cross country tourer

It needs to be reasonably capable off road and needs to be able to have a winch fitted

Something that doesn't attract the thieves

Must be able to tow 3t

It needs to be able to hold a good sized cargo/ building materials / 16ft timbers on roof rack

A budget of around 8K including winch, tyres and suspension upgrades

Suggestions please

1 hour ago, daveturnbull said:

How about a Disco 3? Should be able to find a nice one for your budget.

I had an Isuzu D-Max as a hire car once. It was carp.

I like the adds on telly where the D-max is being loaded with a 1-tone crate next to a gear that if it was real would probably flatten the D-max on its own and the other add where the D-max is being slowly driven out onto a dirt track and the D-max is leaning the wrong way :o:lol:

10 minutes ago, Cornish Rattler said:

I like the adds on telly where the D-max is being loaded with a 1-tone crate next to a gear that if it was real would probably flatten the D-max on its own and the other add where the D-max is being slowly driven out onto a dirt track and the D-max is leaning the wrong way :o:lol:

You watch Quest as well then!

I had an Isuzu Rodeo 3.0, did 100k in it and it never had anything but servicing, tyres etc. Never missed a beat. I did longish trips in it, the longest none stop was about 700 miles, not saying it was as comfortable as a range rover but I was able to still function at the other end. Could tow 3 tonne which it did with ease, could carry a tonne although the bumper didn't allow the tailgate to lay flat so your average 2 tonne fork lift drivers tend to bash the back end a bit, and the drivers in the bit 8 tonne forklifts tend to bash the other end if your not watching them :rolleyes: It had leather seats, cruise, satnav, rear lsd, air con etc etc Perhaps not as comfortable as the ranger (mazda) but much more reliable. It was made for work, a pickup made by a truck maker, whereas the Ranger was a pickup made by a car maker if that makes sense. The Rodeo would certainly be a good alternative to a Defender.

Had a D-max blade after that, in a lot of ways it was better but still preferred the rodeo as a work vehicle.

Got a VW Amarok now, about as car like as you can get and you can get full time 4wd although they hold their money well and the 2.0 bi turbo doesn't have the best reputation as a working engine.

Jeep do the 5 door wranglers but not sure if it would be in budget?

Disco commercial?

Land Cruiser?

Nissan Patrol?

4x4 sprinter / 4x4 vw transporter/crafter?

On 20/10/2017 at 7:45 AM, miketomcat said:

How about a disco 2 that either has or need's a galvanised chassis. 

That was my plan A, followed by a D3

I think i'll have to test drive a D3 and see for myself, but the complexity and running costs are a bit off putting.

I've not been a fan of double cabs to be honest, the lack of real security would still be a worry when carrying valuable cargo.

3 hours ago, landrover598 said:

That was my plan A, followed by a D3

I think i'll have to test drive a D3 and see for myself, but the complexity and running costs are a bit off putting.

I've not been a fan of double cabs to be honest, the lack of real security would still be a worry when carrying valuable cargo.

Have a chat with TSD he loves and hates his D3 it's a great car but repairing it costs a small fortune. The price range you are looking at you could have a good one but you may not. D2 problems are mainly chassis related.

Mike

D2, I see them come up for sale all the time up here I know they have there problems but what a combination of a lot of good things, and the price they go for are a complete steel for what you're getting in a hugely capable vehicle, D2 also keeps fixing and bills within the realms of sensibility. D3's are big heavy vehicles, extremely capable and I've looked at them myself but unless I had a big wallet and drugs to sell I'd think very carefully about your purchase.

D2 auto wth cruise control all day long, they're not fast but so so relaxing. From the point of view of saving yourself time and long term money I'd say attack it this way; buy as good a D2 as you can find [your budget is awesome]. My criteria would be decent rear chassis, low to moderate miles, and quantifiable head gasket history. Then before driving it spend another £1-£2k depending on whether you'll tackle the labour yourself. Within that budget replace the oil cooler, water pump [it's a while you're in there item], glow plugs, all fluids & filters, turbo/cooling system/drop links/Watt linkage/ARB bush health check, and put in an Ashcroft uprated torque converter. You now have a machine that should be head ache free for probably 100k/150k miles before you need to do a once over again, diligent maintenance assumed. 

Spec wise ACE is a must, SLS is not [so avoid/go for 7 seater accordingly]. Cruise control is easily retro fitted for £100 or less if you can get hold of a Nanocom [you do not need to buy one to own a D2]. If you're looking to carry building materials on the roof you need to look for a D2 with the optional extended roof bars AND cross bars, or fit them later.

You should have plenty of change from your £8k. It's amazing how low they are in the market. 

• Like 2

We've had two D2s in our family. Both with SLS, one with ACE and one without. Unless you drive them like race cars on tight bends I found the ACE made little difference. 

I would have SLS though. It's actually quite trouble free. 

Not saying SLS isn't good, just that it's not a deal breaker, and could be an area of maintenance you don't want. I don't have a family and to be honest I cold take or leave the suspension end of the deal but I wouldn't swap the big covered bins in the back of my 5 seat D2 for the 6th and 7th seats.

Surprised to hearing you say that Richard. I can feel it working which I love. I do like my corners though :rolleyes:

Was thinking since, the other two things I'd check as a matter of course is the FPR [but as with injector loom, in my experience even the new ones leak eventually] and the ATF cooler pipes to the auto box. The soft sections of those can be replaced with off the shelf 1/2" ID high temp hydraulic hose and jubilee clips. All in all a Td5 D2 is a very attractive proposition if you're willing to do a little leg work, the best bang per buck in used LR's in my eyes.