What's fitted inside the sealed section of the bulkhead?

Vehicle is a 1991 110CSW originally with  3.5V8 engine. 

As the title says.  I'm preparing my bulkhead for galving, it's already been sand blasted, and in the process of totally stripping it of all fittings I'm left with something fitted inside the sealed cavity just right of centre on the engine side, just below the gutter rail below the bonnet hinge hooks..  The photo below, taken from the engine side of the bulkhead, shows the four pop rivets that secure "it", whatever "it" is.  Do I need to cut open that cavity to remove "it"?  I assume "it" should be removed before galving.

The tin-worm holes in the dummy vent locations, have been weld plugged.

Many thanks to anyone who can identify "it".

Mike

DSCN0821.JPG

Edited by Retroanaconda
Surplus photo removed.

Surely the pop rivets are there for a purpose.  They're not just decorative, and I assume they weren't put in just to fill holes.

Any more suggestions, please?

And apologies for the two photos.  The second one was uploaded by mistake.

Mike

My 86 bulkhead has these rivets but neither of my td5 ones do....I've never had that section cut open but there are lots of weirdly placed strengthening panels throughout the bulkheadimage.thumb.jpeg.967e19b2cc32718db2f6ae87695ab648.jpeg

possibly a riveted on strengthening plate for mounting the fuel filter head or similar?

I've got them on my project one that I'm replacing the footwells , that's going to galv and I won't be removing them . I don't think you need to , can't see them causing a problem , what you do need to make sure is that when the galv goes in the air can vent out or it will explode .

With the original V8 engine in my vehicle I believe that the fuel filter was mounted where it is now, just inside the bonnet at the front right hand side, but I can't be sure, since it's some 12 years since I had the engine replaced.

I can hardly see LR installing a strengthening panel with pop rivets.  That would be a Britpart design.  What I don't want is for "it" to catastrophically explode or distort the bulkhead when it goes into the molten zinc bath which is ca. 800 Deg. F.       So, any more ideas, please?

Mike

Hmmm, could this be to hold the rear panel in situ during assembly? The wiring apertures are filler welded opposed to spot welds (tacked in each corner), a process that may have been upgraded as it got more "modern". 

With two dead centre and an offset one it could be just for alignment purposes.

Yeh, I've already got that covered,in spades, but what's inside "it"?  I've drilled 12mm holes all over the place so there should be no bursting.  If I don't get any definite answers by my tomorrow morning I'm going to cut the section open.  I'll be selling the results of my findings at about a million dollars a pop! Plus tax!:lol:

Mike