Tyre changing the manual way

steve200TDi

Also tubes are a real pain to fit and move if you lower the pressure when off road which risks the valve stem ripping off as well as water and mud getting in between the tube and tyre.

I like the professional valve stem tool I looked at getting a motor cross tool which is a T bar with a cord to connect to the stem but yours looks easier.

On 29 October 2017 at 7:11 AM, missingsid said:

Also tubes are a real pain to fit and move if you lower the pressure when off road which risks the valve stem ripping off as well as water and mud getting in between the tube and tyre.

Any decent horsepower tractor won't run tubes because of this issue, running at low pressures gives a chance for the rim to slip inside the tyre in high traction situations and would rip off the tube stems. 

It's a good workout removing and remounting tyres lol

Tubeless for comps like Steve does are utterly useless. Fast corners the bead gets pushed away from the rim, carp gets in then a few corners later you have a flat, which with the rough ground then falls off the rim and you are left with a scrap tyre and scrap rim.

Oh, and Steve, you could have straightened out the dent in the rim with the club hammer first!

On 01/11/2017 at 2:37 PM, daveturnbull said:

Tubeless for comps like Steve does are utterly useless. Fast corners the bead gets pushed away from the rim, carp gets in then a few corners later you have a flat, which with the rough ground then falls off the rim and you are left with a scrap tyre and scrap rim.

Oh, and Steve, you could have straightened out the dent in the rim with the club hammer first!

True but as far as I can remember when I comped with a friend we only ran tubeless and only lost a tyre or got a flat once.

Perhaps we weren't trying hard enough!

I think it very much depends on application and tyre pressure. If you have many powers you can as has been said soon peel valves out but tubes are good off road to stop bead peel. 

It it is very important to run good tubes in my opinion get proper agricultural ones theses are usually of a much tougher rubber that doesn't tear like cheap car tubes. I also run bigger tubes i.e. 900x16 in a 750x16 so the tube isn't as stretched and doesn't suffer chaffing as much although lots of talc is also very important. Carry some spare tubeless valves and a valve puller and if you do lose a tyres off the bead it's a quick job to get going again bead blasters can be had for £150 on eBay and save lots of faffing.

will.