Spare wheel or no spare wheel, that is the question

ThreeSheds

Hi,

I am currently planning some light  mods to my Disco 2, which will be used for road trips in the UK and Europe (I'll be writing  about  it's conversion to  a 'stealth camper' later), and occasional RTV events, and I am wondering whether to permanently remove the spare wheel and it's bracket from the back door.

Considerations are:

• When I am trialing I remove the spare wheel anyway
  • The last time I had a serious puncture (one that meant I needed to use the spare) was 30 years ago 
  • I carry a pump and a puncture repair kit anyway
  • I think that the spare on the back door looks fugly (I would fill the funny shaped indentation leaving a smooth (hopefully) back door)

So - I am looking for opinions (not arguments, keep it light): Should I or should I not remove the spare wheel and it's carrier?

Sounds like folly to me.  Removing a spare to go trialling in a specific location with plenty of other vehicles is a world away from going on protracted drives without support, and many other drivers would be unsympathetic if you need to borrow their spare because you decided to remove your own. 

I won't buy a car without a full sized spare wheel. I've had 3 punctures this year. My parents got stuck in a little town in France for 4 days a couple of years ago waiting for the tyre place to get the odd ball sized tyre delivered that their Nissan had.

I've not had great luck with the spray foam, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't and it's a faff to have to put it in, drive for so many miles etc etc. I just want to nut and bolt a wheel on and know that I'm back upto full speed, full load capacity and I can continue without having to worry.

• 2 months later...
On 21-12-2017 at 4:10 PM, missingsid said:

My 2000 BMW M5 does not have a spare at all!

Most people that buy  a new BMW M5 don't know how to change a wheel. They have a smart-phone to cry for help.

In a Land Rover you might go places where there is no mobile phone coverage or the AA won't venture. Some people really use their Landy to go places. Above and beyond . . . . . . . . . . . . . ;)

My 88" leading a 110 while fording a river in the Ardennes VVV

IMG-20170909-WA0005.jpg

Edited by AV8R

23 hours ago, RedLineMike said:

im surprised you remove the spare wheel for RTV trials, seems like a load of Faf for not any gain

Not for any advantage - I just can't stand the thought of all that weight bouncing around on the back door!