Rear axle swap

Hi guys,

I’m looking to charge the rear drum brake axle on my 1989 Defender for a disk brake version.

Question is what is the going rate for an axle complete with brake calipers. Seen a wide range of prices & I don’t mind paying if it is worth it. But, also don’t want to pay over the odds. 

Also what’s a Salisbury axle, and are the preferred over the LR version.

cheers

Sean

A salisbury axle is typically fitted to the older 110 and 130 models and has a longer diff nose than the rover axle, which would mean that you would need a different propshaft and the operating angles on the UJs would be extreme.

Don't forget that the rear axles from an early discovery will also fit

• Like 1

Unless you 89 "defender" is a 110 then it has a Salisbury axle already so you either need a disc braked Salisbury from a 300tdi or early td5 110 or you can do a disc conversion. If your truck is a 90 then you need a rover axle from a 300tdi onwards 90 or a Discovery (300tdi disco have a different input flange but can be swapped) upto td5. Salisburys go from £400 up. Rover go from £50 for a ten spline and £100 up for a twenty four spline. I'd be looking at £500-600 Salisbury and £150-200 for a rover but if you don't know what your looking at take someone who does.

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys.

Rover axle it is then. Last one I looked at on Ebay looked brand new in a crate including the brake calipers and disks. Trouble is they are asking nearly a grand for it plus shipping.

I'll keep looking for now.

Cheers 

Sean

• 3 weeks later...

I put  300tdi disco axles on my 90 to up grade from 10 spline to 24 spline and obviously discs on back . Payed £50 each for complete axles . Swaped front callipers for ones off my 90 and put new callipers on back . discs were mint . All came off a scrap disco