Morale of the story is.....

Arjan

When coming back from the Alps last year, the 110 (300 Tdi) seemed to have lost a few ponies..

Eventually, it died en route and suffered the Recovery truck and  another 200 miles on our own trailer behind the Ninety..

Replaced the fuel filters, blew the fuel lines and replaced the fuel lift pump.

Everything seemed to working again and the 110 went back to work.

2,000 kms - or about 1,250 miles in your money - it started having trouble working under load. Would not die, but loose power. Replaced, filters, blew the fuel lines and replaced the fuel lift pump. No real improvement but the thing had to work so off it went and did, apart from another Holland trip with a big trailer, 2 Alps trips and a Spain recovery bash..

So, getting fed up with the lack of power, I again replaced the filters and found no difference.

Replaced the fuel lift pump and all was well.

Did a 430 mile test drive today and it drove very, very nice.

Morale of the story : don't trust any part these days, just because they are new, branded or in a box from a well known brand, to be good.

Deep Sigh....

Edited by Arjan

I test critical new parts, such as ignition parts, by fitting them and not trusting them. If they survive for a while, I'll replace this known good part with another one. If that one keeps going, then the previous "known good part" becomes the reliable back-up spare, and the new "known good part" - er, that is, the one that's in the car, is on a probation period until it fails or I forget about it. You'd think that in this day and age we'd be wallowing in high-quality products as per various futuristic Utopian fantasies, but what those writers from long ago didn't understand was the modern human need to race to the bottom in everything. 

21 hours ago, reb78 said:

I got fed up of failing lift pumps and fitted an electric one. The weird thing is that the 110 goes just as well if I forget to turn it on!

I find replacing it with something electric rather scary myself. As you noticed, it does actually run without it, so you can always come home by bypassing the pump.

Daan

1 hour ago, Daan said:

I find replacing it with something electric rather scary myself. As you noticed, it does actually run without it, so you can always come home by bypassing the pump.

Daan

The thing is, I've had several mechanical pumps fail by leaking externally and nothing to bypass them with (I.e. No pipework to join inlet/outlet or to cut and join them). If my electric one fails to pump, it doesn't leak externally and still allows flow through, so no need to bypass as it lets the FIP draw through it. The way it's setup, if it did fail in such a way to prevent flow I can now easily bypass too. Nothing scary there...

Having had a series of mechanical pumps fail in short order I also have had a permanently installed electric lift pump as a spare, but I still used a mechanical lift pump.  I don't know why!!:unsure::unsure: 

I cut the connections from a failed mechanical pump and connected these to flexible pipes to the connections on the electric pump.  The power for the pump was from a dual male connection at the FIP solenoid connection.  The electric pump was mounted right at the front of the engine compartment with both piping connections coiled and stored under the right front wing.  The power lead for the electric pump was permanently connected to the pump and was coiled and stored on top of the heater box. The pump earth lead was permanently grounded.  If my mechanical pump failed it would have been only a few minutes work to swap over the feed and return lines for the mechanical pump to connect them to the electric pump pipes, and to connect the power supply to the FIP solenoid connection.  Of, by Sod's Law, I never suffered a mechanical pump failure after installing the electric pump!

In my current rebuild I'll be installing Tee-pieces in the supply and discharge lines of the mechanical pump, with NRVs on the discharge side of both pumps upstream of the Tee-piece, so that the electric pump is permanently connected, and a switched power supply to the electric pump, so that there is nothing to do but flick a switch to activate it.

That's the plan.  We'll see how it works out!:unsure:

Mike

I bought a new Delphi mechanical pump and put it in the car in case of trouble with the electric one. I haven't opened the box in 2.5 years, so the Facet seems to have worked well thus far. It regularly has up to 90% SVO in there as well and has coped fine.