S111 gearbox

GKT

When selecting 1st gear it’s easy to go into reverse. On top of the box are two springs. Are these the detente springs?

The bearing on the first motion shaft has got a small amount of movement i.e hold the first motion shaft and get very slight sideways movement. Is this OK or should I replace the bearing? Can I pull it out without taking the ‘box apart?

Those two springs are the gate springs, they make finding reverse harder. 

If you find reverse instead of first then the gate isn't working, or the gear lever ball end is badly worn. Or the bracket holding the gear pivot is not firmly attached.

The detent springs are behind the two little L shape brackets held down with two set screws each. They are either side of the gearbox top. Leave be, as have no bearing on the first/reverse thing.

G.

The flap that sits over the end of the reverse selector shaft should have two springs, not one.  It has an adjustment screw that allows the flap to be adjusted closer or further from horizontal.  The closer to horizontal it is set, the greater the resistance to the gear stick moving to the left.  If you unwind the screw too far, then the stick won't be able to lift the flap and reverse will be blocked entirely (this can happen from vibration unwinding the screw if the locknut isn't tight enough.