Exploding BallJoint Caution

HoSS

At the risk of being added as a HfH accident-prone type, i'll share a cautionary tale...

I'm just working on an Espace and in the process of dismantling the suspension to get the GB out i found a lower ball joint would not press out of the control arm with my 20T press.
So i proceeded to add a bit of heat to the arm as i've done countless times before in such situations.

And at a certain point... BANG (There aren't characters big enough here to represent the bang). A 12 bore or 45 Magnum being fired in my face.
Blew the torch out, spattered me with molten nylon and i suddenly couldn't hear anything except a ringing (which still hasn't quite gone away). The control arm was 6ft across the workshop and the ball sitting in a dent in the concrete.

In 30 years of tinkering with cars i've never heard of this, but a quick internet search shows other cautionary tales.

So at the risk of my embarrassment in going public, don't do it.

Yeah I've had a few items go bang as they've released but you make sure there's something holding them or around them to dampen any built up force, a good friend who did an apprenticeship with rolls Royce has some interesting stories of using Sykes Fairburn hydraulic pullers on items and watching them loop a trajectory across the workshop when the coupling has finally let go... always something to respect.

1 minute ago, Maverik said:

Yeah I've had a few items go bang as they've released but you make sure there's something holding them or around them to dampen any built up force, a good friend who did an apprenticeship with rolls Royce has some interesting stories of using Sykes Fairburn hydraulic pullers on items and watching them loop a trajectory across the workshop when the coupling has finally let go... always something to respect.

No, you misunderstand. This is not the small bang of something releasing. The grease boils inside the ball joint and the ball is a perfect seal at the top. The pressure is massive and the rear cap or casing of the sealed joint blows off.
Example from youtube
The results if you get in the way. (Warning not for the feint-hearted, depicts injury)

• 1 month later...

I did this to a navara top ball joint couldnt press it out so thought a little bit off heat, must of only heated for abut 10seconds started making a creaking noise so moved back then bang he noise sent me back was that loud, couldnt hear in my ear for 5 months, the other side i took to a mechanic . Watched a few videos and they have been known to shoot out and go flying 

Glad you survived to tell the tale and that there were no spectators in the way! In that second video I am surprised that the injuries aren't worse given the amount of energy involved.

A job I always get nervous about is compressing coil springs, never had one let go but I bet one would ruin you if it did.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is why you always drill a hole in the top of any ball joints before heating. 

Machinery joints do do equally impressive things when you put a grease gun into a nipple that won’t take grease, pump hard and heat the effected area, a boiling grease jet is often ignited by the torch and creates an impressive if somewhat smelly flamethrower