Just caught fire. !!

Hi Guys,

Just completed an 85mile drive, in my 2012 110. As pulled up, I smelt strong hot brakes type smell and then the carpet around the handbrake burst into flames..!!!

I jumped out and had the beat the flames out with a coat, it was well alight and took what seemed like ages.

i rolled underneath to find the outer sheath on the Cable had melted, and it was touching the conduit of the wiring loom which had slightly started to melt too !!

I pulled on the Cable and it come out of the handbrake lever end without any resistance.!! 

As I’ve managed to slip a disc in my back I had just entrusted it to a main agent full service..!! (Yes, I know..!!)

Could they have over adjusted the hand brake to the extent that it ran so hot it cooked the handbrake Cable  ??

Cheers,

db.

More likely a bad or disconnected earth cable. The handbrake cable is an "alternative" earth path between the body and engine and, being a relatively small cable (compared to a battery cable) it can get very hot with the current running through it. Normally it causes sluggish starter motor turning and will get very hot as you start the vehicle but it really depends on which earth(s) are missing.

A badly adjusted handbrake/transmission brake would not cause the cable to melt and set on fire.

Although there is a procedure for adjusting it. It's not done by tightening the cable on the adjuster behind the handbrake!

l'll bet they disconnected the engine earth and forgot to reconnect it (but why?)

Edited by Lightning

Sounds like an earth problem.

I had once the stop cable on a Series III act like an earth cable and it created a fire we found not easy to put out...

Perfect earth cables are well worth their money.

Glad you could put the fire out in time.