Paint Recommendations for external appendages (not POR15)

Maverik

Hi folks,

Looking for recommendations for black gloss type paint for doing external vehicle fitting and fixtures, for example front winch bumper, corner steps, rock slides, wheel carrier etc etc...

Items are freshly galvanised so I know they need mordant'ing etc...

POR15 not an option, evidently it is UV unstable and needs an overcoat

ULTRA-VIOLET SENSITIVITY

POR-15® is sensitive to UV light (sun) and must be topcoated for prolonged exposure to sunlight. Failure to do this may result in long-term damage to the POR-15® coating. Topcoating is not required for areas not exposed to sunlight.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Technical-Information_ep_62.html

Do your best...

We used to use truck/bus chassis paint from the local commercial paint suppliers, thins down nicely, cheap by the gallon, designed to be tough & idiot proof.

Buzzweld seem to do some good stuff, got a tin of their matt stuff not sure about gloss but I believe it's mostly made by Corroless and contains glass to make it hard as nails. TSD put me on to it after a thread on here discussed it.

35 minutes ago, cactus said:

No need to protect it and.....

The galv only protects the steel by sacrificing itself, so any paint WILL hold corrosion at bay even longer. You could probably double th elife of the chassis for £50 worth of paint.

With the cost of new chassis now, that has got to be worth it.

17 minutes ago, MetalMagus said:

Try giving Craig at Buzzweld.co.uk a shout.

He has a hard wearing gloss black paint that would work.

http://www.buzzweld.co.uk/ClassicGloss1000.html

Cheers

Sean

Just sent a inquiry to them from the website, interesting company, I have a lot of time for these folk whom build up a business out of a necessity they have found lacking for.

• 1 month later...

I've been using the Sherwin-Williams Macropoxy 646, industrial/marine fast-cure 1:1 epoxy for a bit now after getting disappointing performance from everything else I've tried. So far it is amazing, a bit thick but it covers very well and hardens like nothing else I've used. It is also fuel-proof and salt-immersion rated.

https://protective.sherwin-williams.com/detail.jsp?A=sku-26179%3Aproduct-6843

Also quite affordable, paid about $170CAD for 8L (4L part-A and 4L part-B) and it can be tinted to nearly any of their standard colours. I'm using a satin-black for base-coat and will be spraying colour over top, the best thing is you can add coats up to 12 months after the basecoat goes on with no surface prep (other than cleaning). 

On 10/24/2017 at 7:20 PM, landroversforever said:

There is a need to protect it though Cactus... the zinc layer is sacrificial and only protects the steel by corroding itself.

I'm not sure about this. The zinc will corrode to the point where the corrosion provides a protective layer and everything underneath is protected. Plenty of things that live outside are galvanised and last for decades. Of course, once you get into salt immersion and really bad conditions then that's another story. 

4 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Zinc works by corroding instead of the steel (a sacrificial metal coating), it is not like aluminium that forms an impenetrable oxide layer.

Thanks for that. I was hoping someone would come along and explain it. 

• Like 1

On 01/12/2017 at 12:54 PM, Davo said:

Thanks for that. I was hoping someone would come along and explain it. 

So in other words, by painting it, you stop the galvanising corroding, so it will last longer before the steel corrodes underneath.

For a vehicles, especially one where you get more snow (salt) in winter, I would always paint even galvanised parts.

11 minutes ago, monkie said:

I also reckon that galvanised parts, particularly a chassis, let would be theives know that your LR is particularly worth taking.

That would be my reason - paint it black, even quite badly, to hide the value. I'm contrary enough to buy some of that rat-rod spray-on rust-effect paint and go over the top to make it look proper crusty just for badness :D

• Like 1

Bloody hell, look at this sensible advice that's just popped up! Am I on the right internet??? :D

And here I am, thinking that galvanising lasts for nearly ever. (Well, it almost does up here where it hardly rains.) So I'd better paint that galvanised chassis I've got, after all. Thanks! 

I'd recommend Craig's Buzzweld stuff. Painted my new rear axle with Chassis In One and its holding up well so far.

If you can I'd go for the thinner option and spray it on in lots of coats with a pause of maybe 30 minutes between coats. I tried some bits brush painted and some with an underbody "Shultz" gun and spray painting not only appears better but appears to be tougher too.