Buying advice from across the pond

Hi,

I don't own a Defender 90 yet but currently looking for one. The main issue is I'm located in Vancouver, Canada and there aren't many Defenders around here. As such I'm looking at importing one from the UK. I'm looking for some advice on the best way to find one.

What type of Defender I'm looking for is more of a project one as I enjoy working on vehicles myself. However, the only real requirement I have is a solid bulkhead and chassis. Is this realistic to find under £6000 (logistics and shipping is extra I realize)? Again, I don't mind some scratches and dents and some other minor mechanical issues.

There are several companies specializing in exporting Defenders whom I have contacted but they all say my budget is way off. I have a feeling that it's mostly because they make all their money on the markup of the vehicle (some rich north americans paying crazy money for defenders, inflating the prices). From viewing ads online (ebay and autotrader), it seems like I should be able to find a Defender 90 with my requirements for under £6000 but maybe I'm wrong about that and the ones I see are hiding a lot of issues?

Anyone have any suggestions for where to look online for one where I won't get ripped off? From the reading I've done, it seems like dealerships are quite shady in covering up rust etc.

Anyone interested in helping me find a good Defender? :)

Cheers,

Jacob

Edited by jlager

I've been looking to possibly bring a Defender to Canada with me. I'd suggest looking in Italy, as the warm dry climate there means less rust, and they're left hand drive. I've hand LHD in the UK, and that was not much fun, so RHD in Canada was something I wanted to avoid!

I've seen a few Italian Defenders for around your budget, but you won't get anything particularly nice!

https://www.autoscout24.com/ is a good place to start :)

TBH you're almost better off getting something scruffy for less money and just buying a galvanised chassis + bulkhead with the savings, unless you can find a used one that's got both already and hasn't been messed about with in other ways (good luck!).

• Like 1

There are quite a few "projects" in Canada for sale.

Get into the the clubs and ask around.

And in France, several 90 / 110 / 130 's are for sale.

Please be aware that buying the vehicle is the easy part - shipping and getting it on Canadian plates is the hard part...

I have a Ninety here - just received a new startermotor :P - that would be ideal for export to Canada. Some €€€ - well within your budget -  will help the Mrs. understand that less Land Rovers is better and it is an honest vehicle.

But, and that is a big but, the VIN says it is a 2.5 N/A while at the moment it is a 200 Tdi...

In the US a problem.

Canada ?

Make sure you know what you're buying, get all paperwork before parting with money and please, please understand that what the logbook says does not mean it makes it possible to get plates at your side...

Edited by Arjan

Sadly the dealers have picked up on the interest in Defenders in the USA and similar places.

Some of the prices are unbelievable....l've seen them at over £40,000.

Type "Defender 90 LHD" as an Ebay search and you'll see what l mean!

Edited by Lightning

17 hours ago, Arjan said:

But, and that is a big but, the VIN says it is a 2.5 N/A while at the moment it is a 200 Tdi...

In the US a problem.

Canada ?

Make sure you know what you're buying, get all paperwork before parting with money and please, please understand that what the logbook says does not mean it makes it possible to get plates at your side...

From reading around, I believe Canada is a little easier on that score. I have been told that as long as the engine is age appropriate, and the correct details are on the V5 (regardless of original numbers) you should be ok.

Don't take my word for it, though. Speak to an importer for a better idea on that sort of detail.

Just now, Arjan said:

Changing fuel types etc. on Italian / French / Spanish / etc. registered vehicles is not so easy. In France you will find it almost not possible.

Fair enough, didn't know that. If buying from Italy though, they sold a lot of MPi engined 90's, so already petrol. Might be the work around?

" Fair enough, didn't know that "

This is why people like us make a living out of anything Customs related and international (rail) transport. It is not always as easy as it seems...

The Mpi is not that easy to buy - let alone converting one like you described.

22 minutes ago, Arjan said:

" Fair enough, didn't know that "

This is why people like us make a living out of anything Customs related and international (rail) transport. It is not always as easy as it seems...

And that's why people like me discuss these ideas on forums like this, to get advice from fellow enthusiasts ;)

29 minutes ago, Arjan said:

The Mpi is not that easy to buy - let alone converting one like you described.

2 minutes on autoscout and I found 9 within my budget (which is more than the £6k the OP is working with). Also a nice V8 that I might have to look at more...

I have a good friend who's Italian, and willing to assist with the legal side, which should help a bit :)

As far as the actual physical conversion is concerned, that's the easy bit!

Edited by SumDarkPlace

Thanks all for the replies. 

Yes Canada is quite a lot easier to import anything as long as it's over 15 years old. They don't check anything on the vehicle (I have gone through it before) as long as it meets the age exclusion. Right hand drive is an issue in some provinces but not in BC where I live.

Checking for used Defenders in Italy, I've found a bunch within/around my budget. Here are some examples:

http://www.ooyyo.com/italy/c=CDA31D7114D2854F111BF36FBA0E355B32A21D7A56CC866011113268B2B63241CFB51F5016/6391486202481320849.html/

http://www.ooyyo.com/italy/c=CDA31D7114D2854F111BF36FBA0E355B32A21D7A56CC866011113268B2B63241CFB51F5016/-2954789451389768327.html/

http://www.ooyyo.com/italy/c=CDA31D7114D2854F111BF36FBA0E355B32A21D7A56CC866011113268B2B63241CFB51F5016/-6716040971602940029.html/ 

http://www.ooyyo.com/italy/c=CDA31D7114D2854F111BF36FBA0E355B32A21D7A56CC866011113268B2B63241CFB51C5016/-8619392855319826969.html/

These seem like great prices and relatively clean cars.

Add another €2000 for RoRo shipping to Vancouver (not sure about this cost, maybe it's more)

Add another €1000 for additional logistics costs. Also not sure about this estimate.

What am I missing/off on here?

12 hours ago, jlager said:

Spain? It was a LR building country (albeit Santana badged) until recently and there are loads of newer defenders around, BUT... I haven't got any links . Germany's also a good option but the salty roads can be a problem.

Have fun looking...

14 hours ago, jlager said:

These seem like great prices and relatively clean cars.

Add another €2000 for RoRo shipping to Vancouver (not sure about this cost, maybe it's more)

Add another €1000 for additional logistics costs. Also not sure about this estimate.

The bit I haven't looked at yet is what issues I might have with the Italian authorities. Having never shipped out of Italy, and not speaking Italian, I'd be tempted to speak to a shipping agent there.

I was always planning to put a built V8 in, so I'd need to either register it in UK, then make changes, or work out how to go about changing engine numbers and details with the Italian authorities.

Much easier when importing to Canada or Cayman Islands, as there is no restriction on engine changes and originality, as long as the vehicle is over 15 years old. USA is far more difficult.

Edited by SumDarkPlace

I bought my 1991 110 CSW in 1995 in Kuwait, when I worked there, so it was a LHD, but it had a 3.5 V8 engine, which was economically impractical, at between 8 and 13mpg, when I returned to UK.  In 2005 I had the engine replaced with a 300Tdi and registered it in UK with no problem.  In 2009 I exported it from UK to Canada.  The local UK removal company I was using for shipment of personal effects from UK to Canada did all the arrangements for me.  I believe it was shipped from Liverpool but am not sure, and I received it in Halifax, Nova Scotia.  At both ends I had to pay for a high pressure under-body wash to avoid importing any invasive species.  However, a quick visual inspection on arrival showed that I had been ripped off, at both ends, as nothing appeared to have been done.  Customs clearance in Halifax took a whole week - nothing happening, just waiting!  The actual paperwork only took about 15 minutes.  Since my destination was going to be BC, some 5,200km away, I didn't want to import the vehicle into NS, register and insure it there, and then have the hassle of inter-province transfer.  So, to get a 10-day transit insurance it I had to legally give the vehicle to my (new) wife, who already had vehicle insurance in BC.

The total cost of shipping and import to Halifax was about GBP2,500, in a dedicated 20ft. container.  From memory, I was only allowed to have in the container, apart from the vehicle itself, tools, spares and other equipment associated with the vehicle.  They allowed our camping gear, but no compressed gases or liquid fuel, and the vehicle fuel tank was at a critically low level.  I would expect that eight years of inflation and a much longer journey to Vancouver will cost quite a bit more, but I wish you the very best of luck.

Mike