Starter motor or spider

I have been having an intermitant fault on my 1997 300 TDi Defender 90. In the past 6 months it has failed to start about 6 times. Turn the key and nothing happens. This usually occurs after a long run so I was thinking it may be a heat issue. Today it happened again and after 45 minutes to let it cool down it still wouldn't start. In the end I bump started it and it has been fine ever since. I connected my volt meter up to the starter exciter wire and get 8.8 volts at position 2 and then around 9.75 volts when the relay clicks, when I turn the key to the start positon I get about 11.5volts. The vehicle is starting fine again though. Vehicle has done 125K miles.

I am thinking its the spider or maybe the starter motor. Spider seems favourite but just wondering if the starter is going and hitting a sweet spot each time it wont start.

Does the AMR4956 bypass wire fit a defender?

Any ideas anybody?

• 3 weeks later...

Starting problem happened again today, luckily at home. Got the multimeter out and connected it to the starter excitor lead. I had 8 volts at ignition switch position 2 and 10 volts at position 3. This isn't twelve volts, but does this rule the spider out and sound like a starter motor problem?