EP90 Website

David Sparkes

There is a website with the url http://www.ep90.com/

The url is still valid, but the content has gone; I think it was someone on here that owned the url.
It had some information I had found extremely useful, so useful that I felt sure I had copied it onto my PC, so as not to lose it.
Obviously, I have lost it, to my extreme irritation.
I have found the bookmark link which I had named 'EP90.COM » LR Part Number decryption'.

'Part Number' was not perhaps accurate on my behalf. The details explained how standard LR part numbers for Nuts, Screws, Washers, and Bolts, could be broken down to show diameter, length, thread, finish, etc.
I had used it successfully in reverse, to create part numbers for a required item, enabling me to Search the standard websites to see if that size, or something close, existed.
For instance, anything starting SH604 is 1/4" diameter UNF thread.
Length increases in units of 1/8", so SH604051L is 5/8" long, while SH604081L is 1" long.

Obviously this doesn't apply to every single NSWB that LR do, but it was, and is, a useful way to identify threaded items which are often available at economic costs for small quatities from 'the usual suppliers'. More useful if you happen to live close to one of them, as I do!!

Does anyone recall this information please?
Are you the URL owner and could let me have the original details (again), please?

I also recall finding similar information on a Jaguar enthusiasts website, but I have less likelihood finding that.

Regards. 

Yep, that's me :blush: The site was killed by a host server upgrade some time ago, and I never got around to doing anything about it. I do have all the original content backed up somewhere, so I'm sure I can dig out anything that was useful to anyone.

I had some plans to revamp the site to cover the build of 2Bex, the LWB Ibex that some swine from this forum cajoled me into buying earlier this year, but not much has happened there yet (on the website at least, the ibex build is under way)

In the meantime, I just knocked the fastener page source out into a pdf file

Fastener Info

Hope that's useful

Edited by TSD
The editor on this site both sucks and blows
  • Thanks 1

Hi TSD, your PDF has a link at the bottom for more info but does not work, is it worth providing again?

Either way thanks for posting as I had been looking for this type of info.

Do you know what strength bolts are used or are they just 8.8?

My local fastener shop said that all automotive bolts are 8.8 min although not required and that they don't stock them?

11 hours ago, TSD said:

I had some plans to revamp the site to cover the build of 2Bex, the LWB Ibex that some swine from this forum cajoled me into buying earlier this year, but not much has happened there yet (on the website at least, the ibex build is under way)

:ph34r:.

Mike 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, missingsid said:

Hi TSD, your PDF has a link at the bottom for more info but does not work, is it worth providing again?

Either way thanks for posting as I had been looking for this type of info.

Do you know what strength bolts are used or are they just 8.8?

My local fastener shop said that all automotive bolts are 8.8 min although not required and that they don't stock them?

Some people are just never bleedin' 'appy. :rolleyes: I've edited the pdf and re-uploaded it.

As for bolt strength, as western said, 8.8 is a minimum. Even if it weren't, some of the cheap fasteners out there give you the feeling you could take the tinfoil off and eat the chocolate inside. I've wondered about the rating for some of the fastener part numbers, but not got around to researching it any further.

Things like stub axle mounting bolts SX110256 might well be 10.9 or even 12.9 but all the one's I've seen were not marked. Fastener tech is complex enough that the smart move is to source the correct part at this point (and for my money not one that comes in a blue box :ph34r:).

I've spent quite a few hours recently replacing stainless bolts fitted by the various previous owners on 2Bex. I personally don't like using stainless without a good reason anyway, but in places like the a-frame mounting brackets I reckon a couple of quid spent on HT hardware is money well spent.

Thanks,

As for cheap tin foil bolts you can't have worked on a Disco 3 then!!

Absolutely chocolate Chinese steel everywhere, 10mm bolt to hold a plastic panel on, head turns off with no warning even using small tools!

Mine is an early one so the torque settings were far too high (LR lowered them in later years). Oil change required an air chisel on the sump drain bolt as the head is too soft with too high a torque setting in an alloy sump, real brown trousers moment as I gave the mechanic permission to go ahead! Diff drain anf filler plugs that need to be drilled out as mot even a professional extractor kit can grip in the chocolate!

All too familiar with D3 fasteners, the current daily driver is on '05 tdv6. My personal favourite is the inaccessible, torque controlled (aka small headed) M8 bolts into sheet metal clips through the chassis to hold the diecast ali compressor bracket. What could possibly go wrong there?

M8 sheet metal clips FFS, I'm going to stop now before I start ranting :blush: