Main shaft nut retaining lock plate

Gazzar

I've taken the overdrive out of the Landrover. It was getting noisy, so, as I've a long trip with the trailer, I thought it was best to take out the weak link.

This was the lock plate. Not good.

The main clutch looked good, so hopefully all the overdrive needs is a new set of bearings.

What are overdrives making these days? 

The plan is to fit a high ratio transfer box one of these days. 

G.

IMG_20171029_105334.jpg

My question was more around what caused that lock tab plate to fail! 

The nut was not very tight either. I suppose the concern is that I torqued that correctly and still it failed. 

Interesting on the price of the overdrive, though. I've now got two spare. 

G.

The nut that was not very tight, that's the conical castellated nut that requires a special socket, isn't it?

If so, do you have a special socket, bought or home made?
If the nut wasn't very tight the first question has to be 'was it torqued correctly?'.
I'm not sure if a home-made socket might be able to jam against something, and so appear tight before the nut is as tight as required.

I appreciate questioning what you have done might seem impolite, but I think the question has to be asked, not just 'thought'.

Regards.

No, it's cool. It's fair to question.

The socket was a home made filed to fit deep socket, it fits nicely. The nut was torqued to and then some, so the lock tabs lined up. Serious strain on the breaker bar. I'm wondering if it was too tight? 

I'm dismantling another box at the moment, a series 2a factory recon box, and the main nut was not nearly as tight, once the tabs were folded back the nut came off by hand. 

I'll check it in a couple of weeks time, after 500 miles.

Thanks,

G.

44 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

... The nut was torqued to and then some, so the lock tabs lined up. Serious strain on the breaker bar. I'm wondering if it was too tight? ...

Just checked the instructions, Fairey (Superwinch) specify 100 lbf-ft for the nut. I thought I had read that this is more that LR specify for a standard build, but looking in the S3 workshop manual, no figure is specified.

Regards.

The trouble is that the locking tabs rarely align with the slots when tightened to the correct 100'Lb, so you need to adjust the nut a little in one direction or the other, affecting that torque.  If it is missing from the LR manuals, that may be why.