My 24 year old 200tdi rebuild

Started on a rebuild of my 24 year old 200Tdi engine, didn't find any major issues during the strip down, all the big end bearings were down to the bronze, Main bearings had some white metal facings remaining, crank some slight scores on No 1 main, all the others ok, on closer inspection of the original std size pistons 1,2,3 were found with a semi circular crack on the right side face [camshaft side] just below the oil control rings [will add a photo later] this is the first time the crank/pistons/rods have be disturbed since the engine was built by LR [it was a 200tdi repower kit, I bought brand new in 1994 to replace the dead TD engine] 

bought a lot of new parts from https://www.turnerengineering.co.uk/200-tdi-c102x3005710?PGFLngID=1 

10 thou undersize main & big ends,small ends,20thou oversize pistons, new cam & bearings, new followers, valves & springs, rocker shaft & rockers, head bolt set, oil pump overhaul kit, top & bottom gasket kits, timing belt & tensioner.

had a local engine machine place http://www.westcornwallengineservices.co.uk/ do the machining work, for a lot less than I expected, the work consisted of head skim, valve seats recut, valve guides had no wear, rebore/hone out to 20 thou oversize, crank regrind to 10 thou undersize all mains/big ends, small end bearings replaced. 

so far on the build up, new valves lapped in & fully fitted, rockers & shaft built up waiting fitting,piston/rods 1,2,3 are in, found a busted oil control ring on 4th new piston when unpacking it, have been in message mode with Turners, a new set of rings due here tomorrow [Tues 31/10], not long finished repainting the block nice gold colour VHT spray paint from https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/ via their ebay shop, 

next stage is PAS/Alternator bracket painted, all bolts,engine mount brackets cleaned, just need the new piston ring set tomorrow, then fit No4 piston/conrod,ladder frame,oil pump, sump & close up the crankcase, fit the cam followers,cover plates, vacuum pump,engine mount brackets, timing case rear housing, remove engine from the stand & fit flywheel housing & flywheel/clutch.

also ordered one of Nige's magnetic sump plugs, waiting on delivery.

& get block back into my 110. some photo's below, I'll add updates as I progress. 

WP_20170923_13_22_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20170923_16_57_49_Pro.jpg

WP_20170924_10_53_16_Pro.jpg

WP_20170924_11_27_49_Pro.jpg

WP_20170924_11_59_27_Pro.jpg

WP_20170924_15_04_00_Pro.jpg

WP_20170924_15_04_12_Pro.jpg

WP_20170924_15_04_50_Pro.jpg

WP_20170928_18_13_51_Pro.jpg

WP_20170930_11_26_12_Pro.jpg

WP_20170930_11_29_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20170930_11_29_35_Pro.jpg

WP_20170930_13_22_54_Pro.jpg

WP_20170930_13_23_15_Pro.jpg

WP_20170930_13_23_26_Pro.jpg

WP_20170930_13_23_55_Pro.jpg

WP_20170930_13_24_21_Pro.jpg

WP_20171003_19_33_40_Pro.jpg

WP_20171027_17_20_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20171030_16_40_05_Pro.jpg

WP_20171030_16_40_40_Pro.jpg

WP_20171030_16_40_53_Pro.jpg

WP_20171030_16_41_03_Pro.jpg

WP_20171030_16_41_12_Pro.jpg

• Like 3

I had a lack of power & a dull screech noise while driving back in September, didn't want to risk further damage so turned round & came back home ( had only gone about 11 miles) not sure what caused the problem, but as I needed to look inside, decided it was time to do a rebuild, its working out a lot less than a ready built new engine, found 3 cracks on 3 pistons so at least they can't let go when driving now, didn't find any excessive end float on cam or crank, also it was using quite a lot of oil & pushing out a fair bit of smoke, one of the oil control rings was stuck in its groove so not able to work correctly, just decided that after that big mileage & time it deserved some attention,

waiting on DPD to deliver the new piston ring set then I can fit No4 piston/conrod, oil pump.ladder frame & sump, then with block right way up slide the new cam followers in, fit the rear part of timing chest, engine mounts,vacuum pump,

• Like 1

Awesome, we don't see enough engine re-builds on here I don't think!

After my recent foray into my engine its got me thinking about the longer term aspects of keeping mine running, funnily enough my 200tdi is an S prefix re-powered unit too, although I've no history on it.

Its inspiring to see Ralph, getting someone else to do it all is of course attractive until you look at the price tag... makes your eyes water, do you know how much all in it will have cost to rebuild?

Excuse my ignorance, but did you ask for the specific re-sizing to match the under/oversized parts you know you can get or is it kinda standard sizes the engine machinist uses? 

Is that a new cam shaft? What did you do about replacing the cam shaft bearings, did the machine shop line bore and refit? as I understand this is pretty critical for setting the correct oil pressure up top. :) 

I'm positively fizzing with excitement for you, I've got my old Disco 200tdi sat under tarps waiting for this kind of attention, I might make a push to get it done in the new year.

More picture, more pictures. 

• Like 1

so far parts have cost around £1300, machining was £474, 

Yes asked for the bores to be taken out to 20thou over, it got rid of a dark patch on the bores, I could of stayed at standard size but as I had to buy new pistons anyway, thought it better to go 1st oversize & get rid of the dark patch shadow in the bores, 200tdi pistons only come in Standard,20 thou or 40thou oversize. but it makes little difference to the swept volume as combustion chamber is in top of the piston. 

crank had to go 10 thou under as No1 main journal was scored & couldn't be polished out & we took the big ends to 10thou as well, just to make it easy.

New cam & bearings & line reamed to suit new cam. 

waiting on the delivery of the piston ring set, looks as though it won't get to me until after 5.30 today, a lot later than I would expect for a overnight next day service, feel like tracking down the van & getting my parcel off the driver. 

If it wasn't for the cracks I may have stayed with a rehone & new rings as the old pistons are the original standard size. all 4 have combustion deposits below the oil rings/around gudgeon pin holes, the gudgeon pins are smooth but I can feel a change due to wear, 

oil pump gears are in good condition too as is the inside of the pump body, gears & relief valve/spring have been replaced. 

Do you mind me asking how often you changed your oil?

I bet the lack of white metal was a bit of a surprise to you... I mean for it ALL to have disappeared... hmm :) 

Still, should be rattling along nicely very soon, good work there Ralph :) 

Must admit not often enough, it was burning a bit to much, cos they guys at work kept saying it was very smokey when I accelerated, so hopefully all this work will stop that, but it did drive ok, I had a pretty good idea I would find the white metal gone, mostly on all the big end bearings & lower parts of the main bearings. 

WP_20170930_11_26_12_Pro.jpg