My 24 year old 200tdi rebuild

First long drive completed, from home to Swindon, 235 miles plus the 30 to/from work. never missed a beat, drives fine, should be just about run in now, took it steady no harsh acceleration, just cruised along about 60/65mph so engine not working to hard, oil pressure a rock steady 50psi at that speed, coolant temp didn't rise above 85 degrees, will check hour meter in mornings. 

looked at engine hour meter, so far 21.3 hours since first start post rebuild. 

• 2 weeks later...

When do you plan to next change the oil and filter? I thought you had already dropped the running in oil?

I dropped the running in oil after the initial 500 miles on my 19J rebuild then reverted to my normal 6 monthly oil/filter change.

I dropped the running in oil after 275 miles on 20th Nov & posted a pic of the new magnetic sump plug before going on a long drive up to Wiltshire & back,  its got a new filter & 15W/40 in at the moment, nearly done a thousand miles on that, want to drop it sometime next week & refill with semi synth 15w/40 & a new filter & that can stay in for the next 6,000 miles.

16 hours ago, western said:

Just over 1,000 miles racked up on my rebuilt 200tdi, all running very well, next oil & filter change coming up soon. 

engine hour meter was just over 34hours on sunday.

So that's about 30mph average speed which is interesting.

I'm tempted to hook up a cheap hour meter to mine out of interest, just to see how the hours stack up against the mileage.

On 11/11/2017 at 6:27 PM, western said:

also have these 2 VDO Vision gauges coming from USA

oil pressure gauge in PSI [to replace my original LR gauge which doesn't quite match the others now, 

304514.jpg.991cc601d8f04898bcf5d50c094f1cda.jpg

& a turbo boost gauge in PSI [to replace a white faced boost gauge bought via ebay ages ago,on top of dash by my door pillar]

304520.jpg.5d502bfbfe62f8a10e8ff328e646ec07.jpg

both of these VDO gauges are coming from here [they have a great website/shop  name] 

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?name=vdo-marine-vision-black-oil-pressure-gauge-and-sender-kit&path=-1|311|2349076|2349082&id=1674351

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?name=vdo-marine-vision-black-mechanical-boost-gauge-and-sender-kit&path=-1|311|2349076|2349093&id=1674448

My new VDO Vision oil pressure [0 to 100 psi] & boost gauge [0 to 15 psi] have just arrived, both come with a fitting kit, various screw adaptors, oil pressure transducer with the oil gauge & a good length of hose for the boost gauge, so these will be fitted at the weekend. 

Spent the morning fitting the vdo oil pressure gauge & it's matching sender, fitted the boost gauge, it's hose that came with it wasn't long enough, so had to use part of the existing nylon pipe to extend the hose to get it to the right place on my dash., I'll replace it with a one piece pipe/hose soon, & had to replace the oil press switch as it was leaking oil around the crimped edge around the plastic cone. all leak free & working properly, 

1 hour ago, Peaklander said:

I fitted a cheap pressure gauge to check my wastegate operation but found that it is quite noisy. I'd be interested to know if your proper gauge is quiet once you've driven a few miles with it.

That would only happen from leaking boost pressure either within the gauge or the pipe / connection

cheers

Steve b

• Like 1

I would hope they are square but I probably cut them with a Stanley blade. As soon as I get chance I'll check but at the mo it's tooo cold! Using it for the daily drive and it's dark too. Thanks for the advice (and the thread hijack Western). :D

• Like 1

I have a Smiths pressure gauge that has a tiny leak.  There is no sound, but it does have a little oil inside the glass and the bottom of the face from vapour or mist condensing, and the capillary pipe is heavily contaminated inside with oil.  It has been like that since new, so I doubt leaky capillary gauges are rare.

latest update since the post rebuild start up, engine sounds to be running a bit quieter, which is good, oil pressure is excellent, new gauges are working fine, nearly 1300 miles completed, hopefully do a 1000 mile filter & oil change either this coming weekend, or one evening next week.

Took some readings when I got home & before switching 110 off for the night.

oil pressure stone cold just after start up 65psi

after a 15 mile run home

oil pressure while driving 55psi

at idle 25psi

oil temp 65/70 degree C

coolant temp 75 degree C

Thanks for that Ralph, For info comparison my old engine with in excess of 100k on it I get the following.

15W40 Semi Sythetic oil

Stone cold 70psi idle

When up to Temp:

Oil temp 70-75 degree C,

Water Temp 86-89 degree C

Oil pressure while driving 37-41psi

Idle 14-17psi

• Like 1

Ralph,

I watched a little video about the Universe last night and realised that you could have driven to the moon in your truck with all them miles....

Obviously you would need the infrastructure put in place to do it for real.... No attempts beforehand please.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1