My 24 year old 200tdi rebuild

I was just driving in this morning after installing my new wheels on the 90 and my question to you was what was your oil pressure at idle... weird, what oil do you have in at the moment?

I found the oil pressure takes a fair drop when it reaches 70-80 degrees from high 50's to mid to low 30's (PSI), that's 15W40, if I don't pre warm in the morning of a cold day say 0-5 degrees I'll have 70 Psi oil pressure until she warms up.

Current oil is Morris Golden Film running in oil, just checked the level which is fine & oil is nice & clean, 

hour meter is reading 2.65 hours [the numbers after the decimal are 1/10ths] this includes any time sat at idle,  mileage so far is 55.5 miles since resuming daily use, will be adding another 30 miles today to/from work, hour meter only runs if alternator is running [wired via charge light on dash] so with ignition on but engine not running hour meter doesn't record, 

Nice surprise when I got home from work, my new coolant temp gauge & pod for hour meter were waiting for me, so guess what I'm doing in morning, completed the first 100 miles tonight, will update in morning with the current engine running hours.

Well trial fitted the new coolant temp gauge, I should of bought the matching sender too, but now I've got to wait until the supplier gets more stock in [3 weeks] 

also total mileage rocked over to 482000 when I parked at work, engine since rebuild has now covered 128 miles

Sorted a correct sender with help of roverv8 :i-m_so_happy:on here, he sourced one from merlin motorsport today & its on it's way to deepest cornwall, hopefully my postie will deliver it tomorrow. if not I'll temp reinstate the td5 temp gauge.

today the rebuilt engine has cover 165 miles with no problems. :D

tomorrow will see the hour meter fitted in the pod & just need to find a decent place in engine bay to screw the pod to, was thinking on side of the brake pedal casing. 

My VDO sender arrived this morning, roverv8 & post office did a grand job of getting it here, all fitted & working now, had to run a new wire from sender to gauge, looking at the loom blue/green wire [engine loom is new, so that section is OK, where it joins the main/dash loom I found some scrapped covering off the matching wire & suspect a dirty socket on the multiplug, should of cleaned them before connecting the new engine loom to rest of the wiring] once all was fitted been for a longish drive to get everything up to working temp, most I could get on the new temp gauge was 85 degrees [stat is the correct 88 degree for the engine] a couple of pics after I got back home. overall of my dash lit up at night, oil pressure & temperature at idle & water temp at idle [fully hot engine] 

oil pressure gauge will be replaced waiting arrival of a VDO gauge in degrees C & the turbo boost gauge which sits in a pod on top of dash is getting replaced for another VDO gauge which reads in PSI.

WP_20171118_17_33_38_Pro.jpg

WP_20171118_17_34_15_Pro.jpg

WP_20171118_17_34_22_Pro.jpg

Yeah, been fiddling behind the gauges, noticed it while out on the temp gauge test drive, will straighten all of them up tomorrow, must of dislodged another wire as my rear view camera has ceased working. so a couple of things to sort tomorrow. 

Is the exhaust system on your 110 the same as for a 19J? looking back at your photos the turbo looks like it is in exactly the same place as the 19J with the same coupling.

Also, I know I'm being lazy because I think you did say a few pages ago but where did you get your magnetic sump plug from?

Yes it is the same system but in stainless steel, 200tdi & 19J in 90/110/Defender use the same type of down pipe to turbo attachment, but the rest of the system hangers are different, mine has the 19J bolt/rubber blocks whereas the Defender 200tdi correct hangers are the pin & rubber ring type. 

mag sump plug came from Nige's emporium Xcess4x4 

• Thanks 1

some of my led gauge lighting is green so it is just to bright for the internal green diffuser in the gauge, the fuel gauge just has a standard small capless bulb in it which is about 1.2 watts & works fine, it might get replaced with a matching VDO vision gauge someday

14 hours ago, western said:

once all was fitted been for a longish drive to get everything up to working temp, most I could get on the new temp gauge was 85 degrees [stat is the correct 88 degree for the engine] 

Same as mine Ralph - I've only seen it go higher when towing up steep hills. I confirmed the VDO reading on mine with an IR thermometer.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, western said:

some of my led gauge lighting is green so it is just to bright for the internal green diffuser in the gauge, the fuel gauge just has a standard small capless bulb in it which is about 1.2 watts & works fine, it might get replaced with a matching VDO vision gauge someday

Had similar issues with my Audi which likes 0.8w capless bulbs, impossible to find, a dab of paint on a 1.2w version stops it being overly bright.

I'm guessing. VDO one will look best byways :)

Engine has completed 276 miles & 12.3 hours since first start after rebuild, dropped the oil filter & running in oil this evening, it now has a new filter & nice fresh 15W/40 multigrade, going to run this for the next 1000 miles then change to a semi synthetic oil with a new filter. 

a photo of the magnetic sump plug before it was wiped clean, no nasties on it :)

magnetic sump plug at oil change fro run in oil to 15W40 at 482153 miles.jpg

Thought I'd shove a pic of the hour meter fully fitted, its tucked out of the way, has no affect on brake pedal or servo operation. the pod base is secured with 2 hex head tec screws which made fitting it fairly easy, I can easily remove it to access the clutch pedal pushrod linkage.

WP_20171121_17_35_37_Pro.jpg

WP_20171121_17_36_25_Pro.jpg

Over last few days I could smell diesel, a good look around the fuel pipes & injector revealed some fresh diesel below number 4 injector, not very much but enough to leaves wet area, a quick spanner job to undo the pipe on injectors, a wipe up of the leaked fuel & reseating of the pipe while ensuring it was sat in the right place & tightening the nut seems to have cured the leakage.