My 24 year old 200tdi rebuild

Wow, at that mileage I predict that you'll hit 500,000 by the time summer is here. Do you have any big projects planned for your 110 in 2019? Surely the gearbox is due a rebuild soon (I know mine is overdue - I'm looking for inspiration to do something about it rather than waiting to be forced to do something!)

• Like 1

The main & transfer boxes are fine & only need oil changes, the GKN overdrive I bought from V8Freak will be getting fitted along with the bigger sump purchased from USA recently, [more of that in my overdrive strip thread] I have a new 2nd row upstand & a rear floor cross member to replace, but need warmer weather for that job, 5 new doors to fit [3 need paining first], the rear side window seals to replace with the garrision outfitters anti rattle kit, a new set of headlamp bowls to be fitted soon as they are delivered after new year, my current plastic bowls the adjuster screws have striped the threads out of the plastic tubes, so can't get a decent dip beam adjustment, & a new set of Mudstuff heater door mirror elements to fit again once they are delivered after the new year starts. so quite a bit to keep me occupied as well as normal routine servicing & quite possibly a cylinder head gasket on a friends 300tdi Discovery to sort out. I won't be sitting about to much in 2019 :i-m_so_happy::rolleyes:

• Like 2

I have the same problem on one of the adjuster screws on my 109's headlights, also using plastic bowls.  I was contemplating bonding in metal threaded inserts to stop the same happening again, rather than fitting another plastic bowl.  It'd be useful to know the thread size of the screws.

I'll be interested to see the Garrison Outfitters kit writeup.  They look ideal except for the eye watering price.  I just used regular felt lined rubber U-channel from Woolies Trim along the top rail, which really helped.  Initially, I had installed it as full replacement for the felt, but it stops the windows from closing again, so I refitted the felt in the corners and front edge and kept the U channel for the top.  Now the plastic channels along the bottom are rattling a bit and I want to replace them with more of the rubber channel.  I think it'll work, but I have small reservations about cutting drainage slots in it to line up with the frame slots as it might allow the channel to crumple and drag with the pane.

• 6 months later...
On 12/31/2018 at 8:19 PM, western said:

End of 2018, running totals since first start after the rebuild ---

13,269 miles

453.5 hours. 

total mileage on 110 is 495,146. might just crack the 500,000 in 2019.

How is the engine running now Ralph since the rebuild?

• 5 weeks later...

5th Oil change complete, no nasties on the magnetic sump plug, fuel & airfilter changed as well.

current running hours 711 & miles 20723  since first start after the rebuild. 

well over the 500,000 mile mark now total is 502600. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yostumpy said:

Have you fitted that overdrive yet?

It's still in bits, will get around to getting new gaskets & seals this week, then I can get it rebuilt & refitted, 

on another note I adjusted the throttle cable yesterday so with accel pedal held fully down, the stop & lever on FIP actually touch, they were nearly 15mm apart, went for test drive & acceleration is much better & it will bust 70mph on dual carraigeway, but I'm not saying by how much.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I was thinking about this the other day. Where have you mounted the meter for running hours - is it in the cab or on the engine?  

Also how is it looking externally, no oil leaks? 

Edited by monkie
Additional info

Hour meter is in the engine bay, in a single 52mm gauge pod attached to inner face of brake pedal housing, there are pictures on page 5 of this thread, it's a Lucas 12v hour meter, only runs when ign is on & engine is running. 

Not using or loosing any fluids, runs great. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

thanks for the great pics and commentary on your rebuild western its been a great reference point for me as i had no pics and its been that long since i took mine apart there was a chance id have put it back together upside down  , but nearly there now , really only get on average a couple of hours a week on it so again thanks for taking the time 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...