Diesel particulate filters being looked at more closely...

Bowie69

My old 90 hasn't either ,its just reading articles like that in the press makes me jittery what with councils being given the option to levy fines / fees call them what you will on dirty diesels and waiting for the Gov to make a decision on how they're going to tax us owners of older diesels. I was just looking at your post in the Defender section Western and trying to make my mind up as to rebuild my 200tdi as you are or sell my soul and attach a V8 .:unsure:

Sorry, just to make sure I don't upset V8 owners and to clarify my "sell my soul" comment id love nothing more than to fit a V8 of any size to my 90 its just that the current Mrs kerby and me , or is it I , don't quite see eye to eye on things of the Land Rover nature and after getting caught looking at the Mega Squirt web site price list things have gotten frostier than an Eskimos knickers . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think they will stop you driving it, it will just get more expensive. Higher road tax, tax for driving in areas with poor air quality etc. My D-max used to do a regen around every 500 miles and you had to do a decent motorway run to allow it to do it. My amarok pickup has already gone into limp home once as the DPF got saturated and I had to make a special motorway trip to clear it and I had come back from Manchester a few days before which was about a 2 hour run. A friend broke down tonight in a 2015 pickup with an EGR stuck open.  With congestion as it is and the fact that a lot of businesses tried to reduce the trips their drivers have been making since the recession I'm not surprised people have problems and look for a solution. I've never liked driving diesels so won't be sad if it makes petrol's more available, although I suspect most manufactures will look for hybrid solutions. 

At the end of they day they've fiddled it as it was broken so in reality they've just delayed needing a replacement so have still saved money. 

I fear the environmental studies will be phrased to lie and cheat their results to achieve their own agenda, they can do this as they have the moral high ground after the manufacturers got caught out. The press will jump on whatever seems the sexiest story to sell copy. As a consequence the ill informed public who are so badly educated that they can only believe facebook and twitter 'facts ' will just go along with it.

On 10/30/2017 at 8:50 PM, HampshireHog said:

Sorry, just to make sure I don't upset V8 owners and to clarify my "sell my soul" comment id love nothing more than to fit a V8 of any size to my 90 its just that the current Mrs kerby and me , or is it I , don't quite see eye to eye on things of the Land Rover nature and after getting caught looking at the Mega Squirt web site price list things have gotten frostier than an Eskimos knickers . 

If it helps reduce the frost levels have a gander at the kit prices on diyautotune.com  - you can get an MS2 kit for around £220, so call it ~£250 shipped and taxed. It's not hard to build one, just a bit tedious at times!