Discovery V8 Cat downpipe differences?

dave88sw

Hi,

A little while ago i posted about the difficulty i was having sealing the manifold to downpipe joint.  It was always blowing out the same place and i can only assume the mating flange on the downpipe is warped.  I initially decided to bite the bullet and buy a new stainless steel downpipe from rimmer bros as i already have a stainless centre and rear section.  Unfortunately, as always seems to be the case, my car would appear to need the more expensive option.  My Discovery is a 1996 with a VA chassis number, which should have ESR3730:

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-ESR3730P

However, ESR3063 is much cheaper:

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-ESR3063P

Can anyone tell me what the differences are and whether they're likely to be interchangeable.  I should probably say, I'm fairly sure it actually currently has a downpipe from an earlier car on it anyway but i can't be sure of it's age because it came from a breaker I know but he was fairly confident it was off a late Range Rover classic, he says he's never broken a V8 Discovery.  He allowed me to take it away and return it if it didn't fit but it was identical to the original.

Thanks

Dave

Can't you have the warped face ground or milled flat ? There is plenty of material there,new gaskets,studs and nuts should seal it. If there is a crack where the flange is welded to the downpipe it can be welded very successfully using mild steel wire in an ordinary Mig welder.

Earlier this year I had the Double S tubular manifolds off my RRC.

The state of the manifold to gasket face was shocking to say the least, badly pitted & areas of up to 1cm in length corroded away. The cylinder heads were entirely unaffected.

I did contemplate junking them but I don't like giving up & refaced them with 40 & 80 grit emery on a steel block. Took a while but got to the point where a new gasket & a smear of firegum on the pipes did the job, so might be worth the OP trying something similar.

Or find a local engineering company & get them to do it for you.

BTW leaks from an exhaust manifold can sound exactly the same as a faulty tappet so worth checking before stripping the engine.

Thanks for the replies.  I did notice the slight change in length after the 2 pipes join but i wondered if the overall length was the same, obviously not, that's a shame.

I probably could get the mating face machined but i was hoping to minimise the time the downpipe was off the car and i did fancy a stainless downpipe to go with the rest of the system. I didn't think £270 was out of the way for a pair of cats but i don't want to spend near double that.

I have standard cast manifolds, i've changed the manifold to head gaskets for composite type ones with fire rings, i'm confident there's no leak there, every time i take the downpipe off, the right hand gasket has a witness mark where it's been blowing.  The noise is 100% from the exhaust.

I'll see what i've got to do this weekend but with any luck i might try and get the downpipe off again and see if i can sand it flat.

Thanks again

Dave