for a while now I've been wanting to start my custom exhaust build for my 300tdi 110, so a couple of weeks ago i finally made a start to the entire system, machined a flange to suit the turbo and had the first straight welded on. This weekend i want to get my old pipes off and start fitting the first few bits up so i can finish the front pipe. what i cant decide on is what type flange to use to join the sections of pipes together, the options are:

- 3 bolt flange 

- 2 bolt flange

- slip joint with connecting tags

- v band rings

reason for these 4 styles is these are the 4 options that i can easily make up, just wanted to get other peoples opinions on which one would be the best option.

cheers, Kierran.

A v band is a machined ring thats welded on the end of each pipe the two mating surface are flat with a locating ring on one and a recess on the other. On the outer surface is either a 20 or 25 degree slope I can't remember off the top of my head and there is a clamp that tightens up around the outside and pushes the two rings together have a look on the bay of e for exhaust v bands that might clear it up a bit 

I still have 1 slip joint in the system. This was mainly because of space restrictions (together with a stainless screw clamp you can get to about 66 mm diameter). The good thing about having at least 1 slip joint in the system is that there is still a bit of adjust-ability in the length of the system. This can be important as the welding may warp the tube slightly, and the exhaust will expand when hot, which could make the fit not as intended.

Daan

I am including a 6" flexi pipe into the system on the down pipe just after the first bend this should help with all the vibration. I am tempted to include a slip joint now you've mentioned it Daan more towards the rear of the system. also do you have a picture of where the exhaust passes between the body and chassis. hoping i will get the down pipe welded to a stage that it will be complete as far as the transfer box this week so i will upload a picture of it then.