Battery replacement Defender 200TDI for Africa Overland

Wheely

Hi all,

I am in Ghana and my current 17 plates battery finally left me!

So I am in the lookout for another battery and want to ensure to get one that will be fine for Wheely (Defender with a Discovery 200 TDI fitted) that I am prepping for my overland across Africa - i won't fit a winch but some LED lights both inside (camperised) and outside (headlights).

What are the key info that I need to be in the lookout for to select the best one available ? Plate? Capacity AH20HR AH5HR, charing cycles? Please note that I'd love the battery to keep charge for 2-3 months when not in use.

I found a YUASA distributor here, these are the model offered:

How are these?

Cheers,

Simone
Edited by Wheely

For now I just need a starting battery as I wouldn't be using the leisure one.

I will be here in Africa so not sure the CCA would be that important - which is the key info i need to look out for in the battery to identify the one most suited besides putting the biggest one that fits the battery box? :)

Also, when buying the battery is important to identify the year of production of the battery? I was trying to look for it on the batteries I checked out but couldn't find it clearly labelled.

Edited by Wheely

As western states, biggest battery that fits so long as it's  12 volt...... being in Africa can't  see temperatures being an issue plus if you have an alternator fitted (original or better) that has a belt and you are covering more than 7miles at a time will put back the charge it uses on start up, so unless buying a duff battery keeping/retaining charge should not be an issue.

If you're trying to choose between car batteries of unknown or rebadged makes, then I suspect generally the heavier one will be the higher quality.

There are some minor exceptions I can imagine, but lead is the most expensive part of the battery, so the easiest place for the manufacturer to save money. More lead suggests thicker plates (more robust to vibration), higher surface area (higher CCA) and lower internal resistance (higher efficiency).

With no winch, you don't need to shoot for the highest possible CCA, so as already said, just get as much battery into the box as you can manage. Given a choice of batteries that fit the space, in the absence of any better info, get the heavier ones.