Chevron / Unit designation ?

Geoff Jones

Greetings,

In the process of sanding off the many layers of green IRR paint... these chevrons were discovered.  I measured and photographed them so I could faithfully reproduce after the re-paint with Nato green.

Can anyone help me identify exactly what they represent?  They were also on the tailgate.  This may be very obvious to you in the UK.. but present a mystery to me in the US,  I'm familiar with the universal chevron, pointing upwards for the allied forces in Desert Shield / Desert Storm... but don't have a clue regarding these chevrons pointing to the side...

Thanks in advance for your help... Geoff

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

Not very knowledgeable on the subject but I remember this being mentioned on a belgian Forum. Left facing chevrons were used during Operation Telic in Iraq, 2003. Apparently they're not unit designations but rather served to distinguish allied vehicles from others to prevent friendly fire.

IIRC a member of the belgian forum has obtained the history of his military 110 using the Freedom of Information Act. If you like me to I'll ask him the details.

Greetings,

Joris

2005 110 Td5 HardTop

(first post of a long time lurker, so pending approval at the time of posting)

Edited by Vogler

In 2003 on Operation Telic/Operation Iraqi Freedom, the coalition marking was a chevron pointing to the left as you viewed it - so that, on the right hand side of a vehicle it pointed to the rear, on the left hand side it pointed to the front.

In 1990/91, on Operation Granby/Operation Desert Storm, the coalition marking was a chevron pointing upwards.