Temp and coolant issue

Mutley

Ok so i have nticed the temp gauge isn't rising to the half way mark ( holding at about 1/4).... This is a '95 300Tdi 

I have checked the coolant level which is as it should be, there does NOT appear to be any leaks from pipe work but have noticed that coolant seems to be coming out of the screw filler cap (which is not cracked) from the thread as far as i can tell???

Blower temp does not seem to be affected and is working as it should.....

Question is...... something is not quite right!.... So what is the issue and how do i resolve this?

Cheers Andy 

The problem could lie with the gauge, the sender unit or the wiring between. 
It may be worth your while to spend a few pounds on a laser thermometer and check the temperature of various elements before getting too carried away with replacing things when you might not have a problem other than, say, the sender unit.

I have vague memories of a similar problem some years ago and it turned out to be the final connection between wiring and sender unit

Edited by neil110

possible short or broken wiring, the engine loom gets a lot of heat & wiring cracks with age, just replaced my 200tdi engine loom, the old one was quite stiff in places & the outer covering was split in numerous places, would be worth replacing the plastic cap as well for a brass one