M8 bolts with a 10mm hex flange head

daveturnbull

As used to fix defender seats to the seatbox. Do they have a special name? I would like to get some longer ones so I can add a spacer to raise the seat a little but struggling to find them.

The reason for not using regular M8's is the profile of the seat rails means very restricted room for the socket just as the bolt is getting tight. I know I could use cap heads etc, but would like to keep a hex for future ease.

39 minutes ago, daveturnbull said:

M8 bolts with a 10mm hex flange head As used to fix defender seats to the seatbox. Do they have a special name? ...

The reason for not using regular M8's is the profile of the seat rails means very restricted room for the socket just as the bolt is getting tight....

Do you have a part number for the original bolts?

Regards.

The principle difficulty here is not with finding an M8 bolt or screw with a flanged head, BUT finding a M8 bolt or screw with a flanged head AND a 10mm hex. (M8 normally gets you a 13mm hex head).

I have done my own searching, and followed the links offered by others, no-one seems to have found a supplier of M8 fasteners with a 10mm head.

The OP explains in his post why a smaller than standard head is useful to the standard installation.

Regards.

1 hour ago, David Sparkes said:

The principle difficulty here is not with finding an M8 bolt or screw with a flanged head, BUT finding a M8 bolt or screw with a flanged head AND a 10mm hex. (M8 normally gets you a 13mm hex head). 

Yes, this is the problem. 

@v8bertha that's a good call, I'll have to have a rummage on the bolt bench at my friend's workshop next time I'm there.

Length wise I'm looking for 60 or 70mm.

Just to breakdown what you are finding here;

FS108 is the small hex Screw (with the thread along the full length of the shank).

FB108 is the smal hex Bolt (with a partially threaded shank). A bolt is the natural answer when a longer fasterner (60 to 70mm) is required.

The next two digits, 10, 12, 14, are the length in units of 5mm, thus 50, 60, and 70 mm.

The final two characters (1L) are the finish and an unknown quality.

Finally, I know this breakdown doesn't work exactly with the original part number FS108405L.

The FS108 works, as a small hex screw, and the 5L 'probably' works as the finish is black rather than the passivated zinc (1L) of all the other examples.
But why the length as the literal '40' instead of the correct 08? Perhaps someone just made a mistake? :-)

Regards.

If you can't find what you want, perhaps you could buy longer bolts than you need and nuts which are10mm AF.  Drill and re-tap the nuts to fit the bolt threads, cut the heads off the bolts and weld or stake the modified nuts onto the shanks.  I know it's a lot of modification, but you will end up with what you are looking for.

Mike