Diagnosis confirmation needed

reb78

Neil and I have had a chat this morning and pretty sure on the diagnosis, but just wanted to check I havent missed anything. This is for the 200tdi in the 110.

Went out to the 110 this morning to move the trailer. It took a turn or two more to start than normal (put it down to it being colder). Moved the car and noted a wet patch on the chassis bar underneath. Looked like oil initially. Had a peek underneath, bottom corner of the rad was potentially a little wet. Popped the lid, went to check the levels, did the coolant first and none in the tank and the top hose was clearly empty! Removed the rad filler plug and the water was about 3/4 of an inch down in the rad.

On Thursday night I towed a laden trailer 250 miles and noticed no issues with cooling on the VDO guage - sat as always between 83-87C at no point did I notice it around or above 90C. The car hadnt moved until I went to it this morning.

Filled up with water took it up the hill, to warm it up, got back and popped the lid to this:

Tank1.thumb.jpg.a13e258d3b42d61d64e997334a63bf22.jpg

Coolant looks like this (when i last checked a few weeks ago it was nice blue ethylene glycol colour):

5a102eaeb2e72_Coolant2.thumb.jpg.cb93b7fcab42f4dd36bc8ad7675a3413.jpg

5a102ec74731b_Coolant1.thumb.jpg.75629143845ea384e994c1ebb5e64479.jpg

Engine running this is what it looks like in the expansion tank:

5a102fbe7062b_Expansiontank.thumb.jpg.9aed3560ad067f71feae72724b7857df.jpg

Top hose is quite hard after running but i can squeeze it with a little effort

Off with it's head, blown gasket between oil & water way, I fitted a laminated metal gasket sometime ago & had nothing but problems with oil/water mix in cooling system, replaced that laminated gasket with a proper composite Elring one & no more oil/water mixing.

58 minutes ago, western said:

Off with it's head, blown gasket between oil & water way, I fitted a laminated metal gasket sometime ago & had nothing but problems with oil/water mix in cooling system, replaced that laminated gasket with a proper composite Elring one & no more oil/water mixing.

Me too. Mine didn't get that far but it was starting to push water out and I could hear a hiss when taking the coolant cap off the tank when the engine was stone cold.

Yup, head gasket. My 200 did exactly the same to begin with after a long tow with a heavy trailer ...it slowly got worse and the heater performance started to suffer not long after. New head gasket and it's been fine ever since, I fitted a clear expansion tank too which made it much easier to keep an eye on.

Thanks chaps. New head gasket it is. 110 is in Cornwall and I need to be at work (in London) on Monday. The damn trains are gonna cost almost the same as the fuel and I can't take as much back and have to get across London with all my baggage!!

Anything else worth doing whe the head is off??

30 minutes ago, reb78 said:

Thanks chaps. New head gasket it is. 110 is in Cornwall and I need to be at work (in London) on Monday. The damn trains are gonna cost almost the same as the fuel and I can't take as much back and have to get across London with all my baggage!!

Anything else worth doing whe the head is off??

Where abouts in Cornwall ? 

why have you got the edc stuff on the FIP ?

Where did you get the oil cooler pipe spacer  clips from ? 

1 hour ago, western said:

Where abouts in Cornwall ? 

why have you got the edc stuff on the FIP ?

Where did you get the oil cooler pipe spacer  clips from ? 

Just got a place near Callington Ralph. I'm back and forth to Potters Bar as I work up there. The 110 is reliable as clockwork so I never reckon on this type of failure but can't fault it given it's age and the high mileages it covers. 

Do you pass this way much?

yep. The FIP is on loan from Dave whilst I get my pump reconned. 

Edited by reb78

I about a hour away from Callington, always pass the junction on A30 when going to Swindon,  are you moving down here permanently then ? 

I could run over tomorrow if it's any use, I have a 2 hole head gasket here, I have promised it to Mark aka roverv8 on here for his 110 though. but if it'll get your driveable again I can always source another head gasket.

PM sent or PM me on here