Things I contemplated today while driving my Defender.

Cchase

I joined up with some Jeeps, a couple of Suzukis, a Dodge Hemi and a Chevy Surburban for some off road trail exploration. The meeting place was a couple of hours of highway driving away so I had some time to contemplate life whilst driving a 2.5 N/A diesel (1.67 transfer case) as people passed me.

In no particular order, these questions arose:

1. When the four way flashers are turned on (for going up hills if your speed is less than 70 km/h so other cars going 110 km/h don't rear end you)  - Why doesn't the flasher on the binnacle match the flasher on the switch?

2. Why does the speedometer in a Defender go to 200 km/h? Is this to encourage sunny optimism in the owner? Should it be remade to max out at ... say... 100 km/h?

3. Why is it that no matter how loud you turn up the radio, it will not drown out the frequency of the squeak behind the binnacle?

4. Speaking of noises... Why is it that the truck makes squeaks, groans and rattles on pavement that disappear when on dirt or trails? Is it that the truck is happier?

5. For cars that drive behind you on the highway with their high beams on: Is it better to turn on your rear fog lights (or work lights to really scare them) or is it better to accelerate and make a big cloud of diesel smoke and make them think that they are in a fog bank?

What musings have any of you had? 

Happy Truck.jpg

Defender Nov 18 2017 Small.jpg

• Haha 1

I think Mike covered it perfectly.

Though I find diesel smoke particularly effective for idiot ramblers that have walked across the road in front of you. Forcing you to slam on the brakes (which are distinctly average on a 34 year old 110) at the bottom of a hill (with a caravan on the back). Then they dawdle across with all the time in the world. But to my amusement the 110 produced the biggest cloud of diesel smoke I've ever seen as I dropped a gear and booted it to get moving again. Oh and it just so happened that as the cloud emitted from the exhaust said exhaust was directly in line with said ramblers. I thought I was going to get ear ache from the wife (following in 45) but as she had seen the whole episode she was in hysterics.

Mike

Thanks Mike and Mike.

These questions are really more rhetorical as the BIG overarching question is WHY drive a Land Rover at all given all of their quirks, noises and drips.

Or possibly is it BECAUSE of these quirks (and for me, the fun that I have had and the places I have gone)?

I welcome any other unanswerable questions/musings in this post.

Cheers all.

#1: It's on purpose, to keep the driver alert.

#2: Indeed it is useless because who needs a speedometer when you are approaching light speed?

#3: It's all about attitude.

#4: Absolutely, the truck is happier. Defenders are the only cars to wag their tail when on dirt road.

#5: Turning on work light is the only option: how can you accelerate while already on the highway at top speed (that is approx. 90km/h)? :hysterical:

#6: No idea, it's the same with tree stumps!

Nice pix :-)

For me the muse is.....

Why were Defenders sold "Ready Made"!?!

When a Kit form would have been SO much better!!!!

Or sold in bits with a monthly magazine, and just buy the issues that you need ;)

Lets face it if you are not repairing/fixing it, you are going round it doing all the "Up Grades" it requires to make it useable!

• Haha 1

I had a Skoda for a while it was a great car it did everything it should....it lasted 6 months I hated it for all the reasons I should love it. I got bored of driving it bored of owning it so I bought a rusty, leaky, Smokey, half knakered 110 that was destined for the scrap yard. It needs thousands spending on it. It need hours and hours of fixing time but we love it. The really amusing part is at some point I might get the ibex finished and no longer need the 90 or maybe the 110 so which will I sell? The wife says neither and I can't argue with that.

Mike

• Haha 1

1) What sort of fancy pants 110 have you got, with it's flasher on the switch??  Show-off.

2) I didn't realise the speedo went that high.   I am very familiar with the bit that vaguely represents 90 k.p.h. though.

3) I find I can stop that squeak by tightening the piece of steel above the windscreen that holds the stereo.  I've looked and looked and can't find how that connects to the binnacle (or what's left of it - mine was made from water crackers and is now 50% steel taken from my mum's old microwave, true story).

4) Yes.;

5) I sometimes find that is a good time to test my brakes.  They are good brakes.

Bonus point) It must be because you are in the Northern Hemisphere?  My 110 is ridiculously good at missing rocks with its diff.  Not so much with cross members, exhaust or those silly little side-skirts though.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Mo Murphy said:

I think you should keep the 90 and the 110, Mike, finish the Ibex and then sell it off cheaply.

I've pmed my phone number 😉

Mo

The wife agrees with you mo. But I can assure you if I get the dam thing finished it won't be for sale plus at 118" wheel base it's in your words a barge and way to long.

Mike