Setting correct front engine mount angles

Guys,

This is another query in direct relation to my other posting. just spent the last hour on the phone to a few R/Rover wreckers and parts people, who are now telling me that the engine (and vehicle) were full imports into Australia (1993 RR station wagon).

If so, and no reason to doubt it, what I really need is someone who can tell me what is really a pretty simple answer. They say if you need to know something, go to the experts, so here goes.

Going by Miketomcats posted photos, he shows the actual front engine mount (identical to mine) being in a vertical position, i.e the base of the mount being paralell with the horizontal face of the chassis rail, in other words the centreline of the bolt being at right angles to the said chassis rails.

You blokes would have pulled these things apart and reinstalled engines many times, no doubt.

Can anyone say with any certainty, that the actual front engine mount, HAS to be set this way? I'm inclined to agree with Mike at this stage, but what is confusing me is that disregarding the actual bracket and the chassis rail for a minute, if you have the mount in your hand, there is a definite offset in the angle of the large mounting bolt (where it goes through the crossmember, approx 35 degrees), plus the fact that the guy who gave me the engine swears black and blue that that is the way it came out of the original vehicle, (inclined at the said 35 degrees).

Like I posted before, don't have access to ANY original vehicle where I could possibly put an angle meter on to check. So, hoping some of you blokes can set me straight, like I said, I'm inclined to go along with Miketomcat, but have already built a template for future crossmember fabrication, with this 35 degree angle in it. Before getting the full crossmember fabricated, have to ensure that the angle(s) are correct.

Just like to add that the project vehicle has a rear engine/transmission mount sitting on a crossmember at the tailhouse extension of the transmission, AS WELL as a side mounted bellhousing to chassis rail EITHER side, (original mounting points, on neoprene "donut" type pads with 3/4" bolts holding them in position).

Be really appreciated if some of you blokes would give me your opinions on this.

Thanks, Dave64