New shiny bits

No vent hinge pins - no vents.  Originally had A/C and just dummy, black panels where there would have been vents.

A full rebuild, yes, but I wasn't intending to do a rebuild thread, but to just post up any interesting or unusual issues.  Perhaps I'll manage something in between, with photos, of course.  It'll be a while before the rebuild starts as I've got a couple of engine issues to resolve, specifically rebuild the starter, in progress, sort out the turbo after it went bang, not started, and rebuild the overdrive, also in progress.  I've also got welding repairs to do on the tub steel sections below the front doors, where the sill sections fit.  And then there are all the separate body panels to prep and paint, and possibly a new loom to build. 

It's taken me nearly a year to get this far.  I'm not treating this project as a 9 - 5 job, and will not let it become a chore.  It has to remain an enjoyable hobby.  Also, being retired, I'm time rich but cash poor, which will also constrain the rate of progress, so don't hold your breath.  I am encouraged by both my wife, who is keen for me to finish so that we can use the vehicle for our camping trips across Canada, and by the interest and support from forum members.  Thank you, all.

If this is to develop into a sort of build thread, perhaps the mods should move it to the Members Vehicles forum.

Mike

Yes, everything was sand blasted first.  That cost about double the galvanizing.  The brush guard was about half the total since it had been powder coated from new, 21 years ago, and it took over three hours for them to remove the coating.  If you want to remove old powder coating, research alternative techniques.  Perhaps burning would be an option since the steel would be unlikely to reach a temperature that would affect its physical properties, or try a hot air gun and scrape it.

Mike

That’s a good way to start the rebuild. 

Yes, powder coat is a right pain in the derrière. I was just blasting the bonnet release tube on the RR this afternoon, and as you say it takes ages. Fortunately, there wasn’t too much of it.

Have fun with the rebuild. :)

Cheers, Steve 

• 1 month later...

Many thanks for the interest, but no, not yet.  After having been invaded by seven family members for a week over Xmas, in a two bedroom, one bathroom house, we're taking some time for ourselves.  And I've still got some mechanical work and welding on the tub to do before I start drilling and re-tapping chassis and bulkhead threaded holes.  Then there's T-washing and painting of all the galved bits before re-assembly starts.  I will, however, post photos when I do start rebuilding.

Mike

• Like 1

On 24/11/2017 at 8:26 AM, Troll Hunter said:

Yes, everything was sand blasted first.  That cost about double the galvanizing.  The brush guard was about half the total since it had been powder coated from new, 21 years ago, and it took over three hours for them to remove the coating.  If you want to remove old powder coating, research alternative techniques.  Perhaps burning would be an option since the steel would be unlikely to reach a temperature that would affect its physical properties, or try a hot air gun and scrape it.

Mike

I used a paint stripper air gun to heat the plastic so that it could be peeled off.  The trick is not to overheat it so that it melts.