recently bought Disco 1, battery gone flat, cannot open with plip and keys provided unlock nothing! Help!

stanleysteamer

Hi all.
Bought a new to me Disco 1 a while back. it was driven here by the previous owner who gave me three keys, al;l with apparently identical profile, on a ring together with the plip.
I got into the car not long after, opening with the plip. Started it, moved it, parked it, locked it with the plip.
Went out to it today, plip didn't work. Said to myself, battery must be flat, wanted to open door to open bonnet to charge batt. Key would not open door lock. Tried passenger door, same thing. Tried filler cap, opened JUST enough to enable filler flap to open with a "lift".
Conclusion, someone along the ownership line replaced the ignition barrel, put all the keys on the ring together with the plip, and hung onto the original keys.
Of course I have no paperwork with the original key number on it, although I am hopeful I can get this from Land Rover if I produce the V5s and proof of identity.  But for the time being I just want to get into the machine to charge the battery.  I used to be able to lift the door button with a piece of flexible plastic but I don't think that'll work with a Disco 1, I know it cannot be done with my Disco 2.
Has anyone any ideas as to how I can open the car, or even just the bonnet?
All help gratefully received!!!

Hi Ballcock!

The news is that:

A definitely, none of the keys open a door, but all three turn the ignition!

B I got into the car using the old technique used to get into cars back in the 1970s, I hesitate to put the exact method on the forum as who wants to get their Disco 1 entered illegally? Suffice it to say it took a plastic bag. So no damage to the car at all. Not even a scratch. 

C Once in, bonnet opened, both battery connections disconnected and trusty old charger connected, still charging as I write.

D Will now use the VIN number and official Land Rover dealer to get the key number, EKAD etc, (radio code not needed as came with aftermarket radio)

As I now have the time I am intrigued as to how difficult it could be to work out how to make a key, using a blank if you have unlimited access to the lock.

May still try and find previous owners but there are a lot of them!

Anyway, all is now on the up and up so I'm chuffed!

Thanks again, mate.

I have a 2004 Td5 with as very similar problem. I think the battery may have collapsed and not be making a circuit. I went on a holiday for about 3 weeks and came home to find the Disco sitting on its rear rubbers and unable to enter the vehicle. I had this happen onec before and, following advice, hooked up a battery charger to the starter motor, and managed to get the door locks open after a bit of charge. This time? Nothing. So, I don`t think I have a circuit through the battery. I thought I might be able to pop the bonnet through the grill and then be able to replace the battery, but there seems to be a sort of anti-theft plate under the bonnet latch. I really don`t want to start smashing things to gain entry but it is becoming embarrassing, so if any one has a good idea on how to gain entry it would be really appreciated.

There is an obvious answer.. if you have a tow bar and 2 sockets or the 13 pin socket as there is a direct feed from the battery on the socket to power your tint tent... it just happens to double up as a handy charging point when it's all got a bit Pete Tong:)