Welding caps - what do you use?

mickeyw

I'm doing a fair bit of welding out in the garage at the moment. Garage evening temps have been low (6 deg C last night), so I've had a fleece beanie hat on top, being as follicly challenged as I am. 

Normally I'd have a heater going, but when welding or plasma cutting I leave the big door open to let the fumes out.

My problem is that a welding helmet or safety visor doesn't fit on top of the beanie securely. I also find that if I have to wear a hard hat in the cold weather my head gets super cold, so another reason to find something.

I've looked up welding caps, and there's quite a garish array to choose from, but most seem very thin, and aimed at keeping the rays off one's head or neck.

Would anyone care to recommend a cap that would offer a little insulation without being too thick to fit under a mask?

I actually use one of these.... cheap and cheerful, you can took it down your boiler suit and its pretty warm, I mainly got it for when I was welding laying on my back, works a treat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smoke-hood-U-Boot-Marine-Fire-brigade-Nomex-SEK-M-Frigate-German-navy-FEDERAL/201789913537?hash=item2efb9db9c1:g:GK4AAOSwux5YND-p

• 1 month later...