200tdi lift pump

43 minutes ago, dag019 said:

Got to be worth a go depending on the price. I cannot seem to get even the delphi ones to last more than about 12months/20k

Do you have a sedimenter?  What I was finding was the non return valve was getting stuck open due to small pieces of dirt.

17 hours ago, Red90 said:

Do you have a sedimenter?  What I was finding was the non return valve was getting stuck open due to small pieces of dirt.

I do not have  a sedimenter ('89 110). I did not realise they had a non return valve but makes sense when you think about it. Can this be cleaned?

13 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

My experience of Delphi is the same as dag's. I'm considering going down the same route as Reb with an electric lift pump

I do not want an electric pump and like the mechanical ones. The delphi is the best that I have found, no name brands from britpart and bearmach are lucky to last a couple of months, and were never happy running on WVO, although performed fine on pure derv for a couple of months until they failed. But I have not run WVO for years so that is not causing the problem anymore.

Here you go. My thread here: 

My Facet pump may be overkill as the flow rate is more than needed, but it pumps SVO and diesel with no issues. I also thought this might be good for FIP cooling as it runs excess diesel back to the tank through the FIP. Leaving it turned off seems to have no effect whatsoever on the running of the truck (and it goes fine when the head gasket isn't blown!) and discussions on here suggest that is more to do with a completely sealed fuel line and the small lift pump on the FIP coping fine. If your mechanical lift pump is leaking air in/diesel out, then the FIP wont cope and I guess it could almost form a restriction in the fuel line if it had a floppy diaphragm that isn't pumping well.

It was a simple install and 2.5 years with no issues (lift pump related) at all now. The pump was about £90 from memory I think. Its also got the filter you can see in the pics, so first line of defence before the main filter, plus, it draws from the middle of that clear bowl, so any water would sink to the bottom if present.

Plan eventually is to have a heat exchanger etc on there and a second tank (mounted in the rear passenger wing) so i can run veg oil all of the time and start/stop on diesel, then two of these facet pumps perhaps that come on and off with depending on how the change over valve is set.

Edited by reb78

It's still on the dash switch. I didn't use the FIP ignition feed as I didn't want it on when sat listening to the radio with the engine off. 

I guess the neat way to wire it would be a relay triggered on as the oil pressure light goes off (if possible). 

The only extra bits I needed were fuel hose (same internal diameter as the feed hose from the tank) and that's about it. The bracket are two bits of dexion. I bought the little mounting rubbers for it too to insulate the noise from the bulkhead but I don't think they're too important. 

7 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

Cheers think I’ll have a go at it sounds like a good upgrade.

Here's a link:  http://www.facet-purolator.com/dura-lift-pumps.php

and another:

https://www.fuelpumpsonline.co.uk/facet-dura-lift-pump-40222-12v-1922-p.asp

Had the pages on the desktop as I'm looking at fitting one too - have had 6 lift pumps - ALLmakes, Delphi, Non-name. Britpart -  in three years which is nonsense!

Interesting reading here. It’s something that concerns me because the pump on my 200Tdi has done at least the 172,000 miles in my ownership (quite likely much more) and it seems that the replacements available simply aren’t up to the job. Has anyone tried a Land Rover one?

I like the idea of a simple solid-state electric pump.

2 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

Interesting reading here. It’s something that concerns me because the pump on my 200Tdi has done at least the 172,000 miles in my ownership (quite likely much more) and it seems that the replacements available simply aren’t up to the job. Has anyone tried a Land Rover one?

I like the idea of a simple solid-state electric pump.

Yup. The last straw for me  was when the land rover genuine one failed. I didnt buy it out of choice, but the one before that failed (leaking badly) whilst i was away from home on a saturday morning and LR was the only local place open. The facet pump ive fitted was cheaper than a lift pump from LR and has lasted three times as long!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

I doubt wether anyone would try a Land Rover one STC1190 on britcar is are you sitting down £193 + vat  I think someone has lost the plot with that one , have seen that on some other LR parts just lately .

I wouldn’t mind spending £200 on a genuine one if it was going to last 20 years, however it seems that there is less likelihood of that these days.

Have got one of them Dura-lift pumps coming Monday , got a couple of questions 

does anyone know the inner diameter of the hard plastic fuel line on a 200tdi ? so I can get the connectors before I cut the line .

And on to the wiring , have read the article on the oilburners web site that Reb78 linked to in his original post were they have it wired to the fuel cut off switch but as TSD I think pointed out it would be better wired to the oil pressure switch for safety reasons if you have a crash. So if I wire the relay as follows will it be okay 

pin 86 earth , pin 30 from battery , pin 87 to live fuel pump , pin 85 to oil pressure switch ? might also incorporate a switch as anti theft .

cheers Ian

I measured the outside diameter on the existing fuel pipe and bought fuel hose I could slip tightly over it. I can't remember the diameter, but it is leak proof. 

As as for the cut off switch, I thought that re anti theft, but I regularly find myself steaming along the motorway having done 20 miles and forgotten to turn the thing on! So don't wire it with a switch thinking it'll stop the truck getting stolen! It did leave me wondering if we really even need a lift pump, but it has to be less strain on the FIP (especially when I'm running on veg oil)