200tdi lift pump

Well the Dura-lift lecky pump arrived today Have just ordered some fittings and just to make a point guess what happened yesterday ? Yep Britpart lift pump started leaking been on about 3 weeks (didn't know it was britpart when I ordered it) so had to find the old lift pump I'd removed and put that on , that doesn't leak but not convinced its working wright as the leaver pumps diesel where ever it is but hopefully it will hold out till I can fab a brkt up and install the lecky one , its all good fun isn't it :rolleyes: .

cheers Ian

• 4 weeks later...

Yes fitted a lecky pump ( same one as Reb78) over Christmas made a brkt will put a photo up over weekend all’s working ok with that, waiting for an inertia switch to come so I can wire that into it so it cuts out in a bump (Bowie69’s idea) . But 1st day back at work on afternoons came out wouldn’t start (see thread any ideas) and it appears my starter motor is on the way out so she’s back in the shed till I can sort it at weekend and I’m using the father in laws td5 .

Out of curiosity, what fails in the mechanical lift pumps? I'd have thought this was solid old school technology with repair ability built in.

After all, these have been fitted to thousands of series engines for decades.

I think it’s the diafram inside and they’re sealed so can’t repair them  , then fuel leaks out or air gets in and I believe that it can also leak into the engine and into the oil from the rear of the pump . They seem to be failing regularly I’ve fitted two in 8 months .

2 hours ago, Red90 said:

Every (OE) one I've had fail is from dirt in the non return valve.  Adding a sedimenter stopped the failures.  I'm 3 years and 60000 kms on the latest one.

I’m similar on my electric lift pump and it adds the equivalent of a sedimenter to the system with the pump I used. 

My last one split around the middle and was spraying diesel everywhere, non serviceable.  Around 10 months old that was.  Luckily I had two days previous just finished putting the engine back together on The 109 so I was able to go and drag the 88 back in...not the sort of thing I wanted to be doing so soon after rebuild with no proving at all!

Hi all . as promised some pics of the electric lift pump install , not as straight forward as others as I had to move the fuel filter because I can't get them side by side as I have a red booster clutch servo fitted and by moving the filter it made servicing easier .

SAM_1148.thumb.JPG.f31e5a24bd5b957ee603f0825a6b7329.JPGSAM_1149.thumb.JPG.fb88467a0f1f0c341d696af609df6c39.JPGSAM_1150.thumb.JPG.81467a1fffa12fcf525db65541c335c1.JPGSAM_1151.thumb.JPG.402ccd9ae938f27577003db35acd95b1.JPG

So only got to use it for a day or two before my starter motor started playing up at work on a late shift so she's been in the shed and I've been using my father-in-laws td5 and I've still got to fit the inertia switch which I'll do tomorrow, but when I did I'm happy with the results she seems to go better but that might be down to the lift pump being dodgy . No leaks and I can't hear it above the engine noise but you can hear a buzzing and clicking when you turn the key before the engine starts , so hopefully I won't need to worry about lift pumps for a good long time :D .cheers Ian

• 3 months later...

The thought occurred to me too, Gaz.  The pipe diameter is much bigger on Tdi plumbing, so that could be limiting.  I don't know if the Series pumps would have sufficient flow rate, but I would expect they do as they are dimensionally comparable.

I don't like the idea of an electric pump.  I had one pump failure on my 300, the original, and the Delphi was running fine the last time the engine was used with 208,000 miles and 21 years.  But the RR did have a sedimenter.  My 200 has used two pumps since I installed it, and in 40,000 miles.  A sedimenter is on the list of additions.

I don't think running without an operating lift pump is wise.  The filter is designed to have pump pressure on the tank side.  Suction feeding reduces the pressure differential on the filter ton less than 12psi, so flow will be reduced more easily in low temperatures or partial clogging and the injection pump will work harder, possibly cavitating.  There should be poisitive pressure before the filter any time the engine is running.  It should also help overcome any tiny air leaks.

Well, I had a look at mine, and the tdi pump is fine (Britpart!) so I don't know what caused the poor running.  I changed the fuel filter whilst I was there, and that has made a huge difference.  It was done recently, so maybe it was doing it's job well?  Bad fuel?

But, the series pump fits, though the inputs are different, and I suspect the flow rate would be entirely adequate.  

I think I'll order an AC rebuild kit for the series pump, just in case there is crud in the innards.

G.