Mantec down the swanny too...

Maverik

Expensive products and didn't supply direct either, I remember trying to get in touch with them a few times regarding some of the snorkel arrangements they made, but they never where really very interested in dealing with a customer directly in my opinion.

Their powder coated steel products were shoddy - they never had the edges de-burred or got rid of the mill scale, so they rusted incredibly quickly.  I found them dismissive and rude at the shows, and so did several of my contacts who had complaints over quality of products they had bought..

Seeing lots of local Defenders that seem to be more about wide wheels and tyres which look like somebody has wrapped a strip of liquorice around the rim, along with items which are more about bling than anything useful. Not the sort of market Mantec catered for really.

A friend of mine and I looked into the idea of doing things like galvanised cappings, bumpers, wire mesh radiator grilles and numerous other, smaller components. We found that the interest simply wasn't there, people we talked to were more interested in spotlights, alloy wheels and stainless steel fittings

Both Mantec and KAM also supplied MOD, so another regular source of income would have dried up a few years back.

Like some of the previous posts, I liked the Mantec parts I had bought before (wheel carrier, side sills and TD5 tank guard), but to be fair they also were not keeping up with the times, so I suppose it was inevitable. 

• Like 1

With a family business, having profits, but then no roll over cash flow, usually means that they are effectively taking most of their salaries  as annual dividends to avoid higher rates of personal income tax and NIC. So depending on how many employees are being paid most of their salary as dividends, the company may not appear as profitable as it does.