Two or Four post lift

• 3 weeks later...

I own a 4 post ramp.. work run 3 or 4 off 2 post ramp and a 4 post ramp.. for me it isvery job dependant. 

If you work on a SWB series, you'll need a 4 post ramp. Can't get a 2 post ramp on the chassis. 

If you're working on transverse engined cars a lot, 2 post ramps are ideal. Ask anyone who has done transverse engined timing belts on a 4 post ramp!

The best compromise is probably a 4 post ramp with a wheel free system as You'd manage a timing belt job much easier and have the added safety of a 4 post ramp

• 2 months later...

I will measure the width later, but the ramps are 16ft long. Width wise i would say there are 8 inches either side of the land rover wheels on the ramp but will take a measurement later.

Ross, I never posted the width. The ramps are 7’2 from edge to outer edge. 

The ramps brilliant. Overdrive off, rebuilt and back on again yesterday. That’d be two days on my drive!

Edited by reb78

Oh yes - that looks what I want to do in the new workshop

Question if I may.

Could you please measure the height you need under the roof of the workshop to the floor when you have the land rover like this in the ramp and want to work under it while standing ?

Many, many thanks !

Sure. It’s about 4.2m at its highest (that’s to the top of my brownchurch rack). About half a metre lower at 3.7m is working height for me at 6ft tall - at that height you have to bend over to get under the ramp but can stand underneath it but you will hit your head on axles etc. 

Thank you very much !

Means we need to re-think the  workshop roof as we have about 4.1 mtrs. in height - incl. the roof beams etc...

Back to the drawingboard..

I have a four post, an old Bradbury, which I bought through a bankruptcy sale from a Saab dealership. It was running three phase but I rewired it to single phase and added a few capacitors. I personally prefer the four post for it's stability although it hasn't got the wheels free bars I do have a cross beam jack. Unfortunately when I need to use it I normally have something else sat on it. I would not want to be without it now.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have bitten the bullet too.... looked at a couple of second hand units, but there isn't the choice over here so went with new. I considered (only very briefly!) a MAHA from the local supplier but reckoned €9K was a tad OTT. Went with the Twin Busch 'Heavy' clear floor 2 post, should be here end next week. Spent today starting the electrical prep, can't wait!

I have a quick question about my four post that others who have similar would be able to answer....

If i just want to work on one side with one wheel off, can i put the wheels free system in place and just raise one corner leaving the other three wheels on the ramp? Only asking as thats probably quicker than getting it arranged so all four wheels are in the air.

I'm not sure you would Ross. The wheels free beams are positioned under axles or chassis and blocks are slid on them to contact specific points on the axles or chassis. You then lock the beams in place and drop the ramps so i am wondering if i can drop the ramps with a block only under one corner and so only raise that one leaving the other wheels on the ramps? I dont know if it will like the weight distribution that way though?

Oh I see. Unless you had a very tall block which I'd want to avoid, The others would contact fairly shortly, the track rod getting in the way on the front? 

You'll have to forgive me if I'm chatting rubbish.... I've not been under a defender on a wheels free ramp since I did my work experience in I think 2006 :o 

For that kind of work @reb78 I would look at getting a jacking beam/pit jack, or probably cheaper - a pair of tall axle stands. I have always found a stand or two to be very useful positioned beneath a vehicle and then ramp lowered accordingly 

It's not advisable to lift up only one corner on a jacking beam or wheels free unit. lift an axle at a time. It puts the wrong kind of pressure on the equipment.

if you want to lift one wheel, usually a bottle jack on the ramp bed is best but i know its quicker to pull my jacking beam across and lift the entire axle.

make sure to chock the car obviously!