D5 - fixed!

Bowie69

Well, it isn't that bad. Must admit I didn't like the offset plate idea but with a shortened plate it looks fine. Star tech solution must involve hacking the step section out of the tailgate which on a £57k car I'd be hesitant to do...

image.thumb.jpeg.0bcb0b9998c14f6a3c11cbe620eca298.jpeg

Having had D2,3,4 and now 5 its still as practical as all the others have been but a lot more refined than the D4. It's still to pop it's towing cherry but I can't see it being bad at that.

I think it must sit over that, I've just looked at the panel model, probably puts the plate at a bit of an angle, it is also called an 'insert', I can't imagine anyone would be happy with chopping apart their D5.

It's also moving the plate upwards to make more room.

http://www.startech.de/en/products/land-rover-discovery-5-5-4/

Ok, look at the length of the area where the  original badge sits, now compare that to the photoshopped model.

Its now a fair bit shorter...which you can’t do on the existing side without cutting. 

Look at the DISCOVERY badge on mine, the step reaches from the “ERY” so transpose that to “DIS” on the other side...leaves little room for a plate. 

It is confirmed yes you need to cut a hole in the boot lid.

"Thanks for your inquiry. 

The tailgate definitely needs to be modified, a small cutout is required as well the camera, lights and trunk opener have to be installed.
But all in all not a big deal for an experienced workshop.

Our part will be available January.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen 
Best regards "

D5's fit perfectly with the Land Rover ethos, and I respect the formula LR are applying as they're making a hell of a lot of money at it...

I'm coming more around to the present LR line up, but with the D5 there where a few big disappointments, one being the look of the rear end, it simply overhangs the rear axle too far imho and I've always been a sucker for liking very much how my cars look, the 2nd disappointment was the perceived lack of space in the thing, you don't buy a big vehicle for it to then not feel big inside, after stepping out of a D1, and into a D5 I actually thought it almost felt cramped. Where as any of the big Range Rovers you don't get that feel, even the Discovery sport its inside feels proportionally big for its outside.

I'm a tad disillusioned with "proper" 4x4 just now as living up here, I just don't get the opportunities to drive my trucks to anywhere near there true capabilities and its annoying me, and further to that I see that its not going to get any easier to be able to off-road vehicles in the uk. There's a big part of me saying what is the point. Buy a new LR and you get all the comfort of the 99% of road driving and it should still perform adequately well when we get snow for 2 days of the year... Sorry that turned into more of a ramble.

Aye, supercharged v8...sounds awesome.

Space in the D5 is excellent, the lower roofline I think skews perception in relation to d3/4, it's loads better and less cramped than the D2. Boot space is huge.

i had my mates RRS up for detailing the week I bought the D5 so had the two side by side for comparison. 

image.thumb.jpeg.746d1adc463f61c6e0942f13a9322540.jpeg

No denying it's a big car with a huge ass...there is loads of room for junk in the trunk though!

On 11/30/2017 at 1:49 PM, Scotts90 said:

I can assume that no one likes the D5?

Correct :D

Styling somewhere between US home-market SUV and a Korean SUV, and a complete lack of character and individuality. If you put the current range side by side and blanked the badges I would honestly struggle with which was which now.

It could be the best thing in the world to drive (and I am sure it will be very good) and I wouldn't buy one because one of the great things about the old models was that it was both instantly recognisable and not likely to be mistaken for anything else

Well as contentious as the tailgate design is, with no badges you'd be able to identify it from that??

But hey-Ho, everyone has their own tastes and opinions, some people don't like change..I get that and would've happily bought one of the last D4s my 12MY D4 was up there with one of my favourite cars I've had.

But the new one is better. Having had the last 3 incarnations I'm not just going on looks for my comments though, I also had a Shogun in between discovery models...which apart from a body kit upgrade hasn't changed since 98/99. 

We landrover owners are a fickle bunch. Even more so us that have defenders as we seem to hate change: the outcry of the td5 powerplant then the almost blasphemous transit engined puma...heaven forbid they added more than a bonnet bulge for that evolution.

The new defender will almost certainly split opinions to a greater extent than what the D5 has done to the discovery heritage but in defence of the D5 it's had a lot more positive comments than I expected from non "car" people...McGoverns' designs may not appeal to the hardcore/diehard but definitely appeals to the masses.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the US this week and I swear I saw a Disco with a central number plate that looked to be standard. It has the sloping bit seen on scotts car on both sides, but obviously shorter on both sides (if that makes sense) to fit the plate in centrally...

I am beginning to wonder if I am making this up though as I can't find a picture of one like that

Time to go and stand by the road and wait for a Disco! :D

On 12/11/2017 at 10:46 PM, L19MUD said:

I am in the US this week and I swear I saw a Disco with a central number plate that looked to be standard. It has the sloping bit seen on scotts car on both sides, but obviously shorter on both sides (if that makes sense) to fit the plate in centrally...

I am beginning to wonder if I am making this up though as I can't find a picture of one like that

It was probably a Ford Explorer.

• Like 1

On 01/12/2017 at 3:41 PM, Maverik said:

Having said all that, if someone gave me ones of these... I'd probably learn to live with my issues... :)lr_disco_svx_show2.jpg

The red bits look like protective coverings!  With that and those big gills in the bumper, it looks like it's trying too hard to impress.  It seems a bit vulgar to me, but that'll make it a hit for sure. 

On 11/12/2017 at 10:46 PM, L19MUD said:

Discovery sport?

2017-Land-Rover-Discovery-Sport20.jpg