RRC 15" wheel swap, good idea or not?

11 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

For 12.5" tyres, you really need a 10" rim, anything less will be borderline dangerous on the road.

If you look up the size of tyre you have, check the manufacturer's site, they often list min and max rim sizes, and I wouldn't go outside this really...

I think dangerous might be stretching the truth a little. But yes is normally just beyond what is ‘recommended’ by tyre manufacturers. 

That said, a 15x8 vs 15x10 is going to have little overall difference on the steering or how much the tyres stick out of the arches. The tyre tread will still be the same width. 

Edited by Chicken Drumstick

10 hours ago, miggit said:

Just had a thought does anyone know of a 5x165.1 > 5x114.3 adaptor that would get me on to the Jeep stud pattern and problem solved!

The issue you’ll face is a 12.5 width tyre on its own is going to stick outside the arches. Any spacer will make this worse. And in the U.K. to remain legal you need to keep the tyres inside the arches. 

Or make you arches wider, as long as you don't go over 2.55 meters (8foot 4.39inches) you'll be right... except when you come up against a width restriction D'OH!

And my reasoning for the use of narrower rims is an 8 inch rim will be 1 inch more inboard than a 10 inch!

My answer is probably too easy a solution but, why not sell your Jeep wheels/tyres and get some wheel /tyres that will fit the Rangie ?

Yes, you will loose some money in the deal but just about every option mentioned will cost you quite a bit too. At least you will end up with something that is supposed to be together. Not some parts that are forced/made to be that way.

Well I can see what you're saying, and in an idea world it makes sense... The only issues are the Jeep wheels cost over £800 and would be nearer to £1000 nowadays, I'd be lucky to get £500 S/H for them, 5 x quality 16" tyres would be around £750 so I'm out of pocket already, and I happen to like the noisy Cooper tyres! Plus I'd be wanting to undo all the lifts if I stayed with normal 16's.

To be honest I can get new 15" rims for around £250.... It's just a large outlay if they can't be made to fit! And I realise that arch flares are inevitable, I've got small flares on the front already, I was just looking to keep the flares as small as possible and the body hacking to a minimum... Hence the desire to use 8" rims as opposed to 10's

As I said the car already has a 4 inch lift, would be a pity not to use it!

Yes but in std trim the wheels stuck out an inch...33/12.5/15's later on 10" rims and that's the result!! But I have seen TJ's running 33's on 8" rims with what appears to be std arches, and they have just about got it covered!

And I'm not worried about the width, I've just chopped in an L322, they are 6" wider than a Classic!