New Defender mule

neil110

If it were true, which I doubt, it would show just how little Land Rover understand about the "Defender" market although I guess a bobtailed RRS is about as innovative as the current JLR design team can get these days when VELAR (V Eight LAnd Rover)  can be applied to a sub model without anyone at JLR thinking "hold on, aren't we devaluing our own history".

The new Defender is actually going to be a trim level for a Discovery 5, the new "Discovery 5 Defender" with round tail lights as a tribute to their past and rubberised carpets throughout. 

4 hours ago, BogMonster said:

It's not real. Somebody on a Facebook page pointed out the poor Photoshop join in the rear door window (follow the line along the top of the window/roof line, it's got a step in it!)

Having looked at it long and hard I think it is just the camouflage making it look that way, if you look at the body of the door the patterns are continuous

1 hour ago, Dave W said:

If it were true, which I doubt, it would show just how little Land Rover understand about the "Defender" market although I guess a bobtailed RRS is about as innovative as the current JLR design team can get these days when VELAR (V Eight LAnd Rover)  can be applied to a sub model without anyone at JLR thinking "hold on, aren't we devaluing our own history".

The new Defender is actually going to be a trim level for a Discovery 5, the new "Discovery 5 Defender" with round tail lights as a tribute to their past and rubberised carpets throughout. 

It is a mule. The original freelanders were trialled and tested using marina van bodies to cover the underneathy bits

2 hours ago, Dave W said:

But Land Rover won’t be bothered with history. What they will be looking at is people biffing down deposits on the new Velar as fast as the salesperson can process the orders.

Look at the Evoque and Discovery Sport. Our area is full of them. New owners won’t care about heritage and old Defenders, they just want a Velar/Disco Sport on their Drive.

Edited by Lightning

1 hour ago, neil110 said:

It is a mule. The original freelanders were trialled and tested using marina van bodies to cover the underneathy bits

It was Maestro van bodies Marina vans were long time out of production by then.

http://www.dunsfoldcollection.co.uk/collection/freelander/mule-prototype-cb40-brake-test-hack

the VK67 EWX reg checks out OK on DVLA https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ViewVehicle so I guess it must exist, auto express mag show the same photo's 

What a lot of toss - the original Defender was based on the Range Rover of the time so what's wrong with them doing the same again? :rolleyes:

All its rivals (vans & pickups) are light-years ahead of what they were in the 1970's so if LR do the same I don't see it as "selling out" rather a long-overdue catching-up.

Face it, even if you think the Defender should be more like a tractor - those are air-conditioned palaces of technology these days too!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

That ties in with some info I heard about it having air and coil springs, I wonder if they're still trialling what works best for it? or even if its an optional extra... I dunno about anyone else but I find this quite exciting. I like how they've stuck those bodies on them too.

I saw two camouflaged Ranger rove type vehicles cruising up Deeside towards Beamer on Saturday morning, I've seen them doing towing trials as well up the steep side going up to Glenshee ski centre... dammit if I'd have known they where using Rangie bodies on as mules I would have paid more attention!

12 hours ago, supaimpy said:

try this

VRM:

VK67EWX

Chassis No.:

SALXA6BN1LXX05286

First Registration:

2017-10-03

Vehicle Type:

LAND ROVER UNKNOWN

Engine No.:

170720W0866204DTA

Build:

ESTATE

Fuel Type:

DIESEL

So from that I think I'm right in saying that we can work out it's a 2.0 litre diesel, which is already disappointing if it's a mule for the new Defender, as it clearly isn't big enough.

44 minutes ago, BogMonster said:

So from that I think I'm right in saying that we can work out it's a 2.0 litre diesel, which is already disappointing if it's a mule for the new Defender, as it clearly isn't big enough.

I think this is the way things are going though, smaller engines with higher turbo pressures to get the emissions down, I expect it will have plenty of punch, the 2.0 Freebie doesn't hang about.

I would be expecting a petrol version pretty soon, given the roasting diesels are getting at the moment.

On 12/2/2017 at 12:04 PM, BogMonster said:

It's not real. Somebody on a Facebook page pointed out the poor Photoshop join in the rear door window (follow the line along the top of the window/roof line, it's got a step in it!)

its a mule as confirmed by somebody working at LR..

On 12/4/2017 at 6:36 AM, Lightning said:

There will be an electric version as well. Now that will be something....an electric Defender

Because Land Rover and electricity have always got on so well :D

On 12/4/2017 at 7:58 AM, dirtyninety said:

its a mule as confirmed by somebody working at LR..

Yeah, I saw that. It seems the factory have actually made a Photoshop-realistic body lash-up!

I saw some better quality photos later on and they would suggest whatever it is has independent rear suspension along the lines of the Discovery 3/4 range, not sure if it was exactly the same but certainly a similar looking arrangement.

Time will tell. I shall be watching with interest, but no real expectation.