LR Security Again

On 04/12/2017 at 8:00 AM, mickeyw said:

At least these are practical money spent, rather than simply being shiny bling that others are offering.

My only concern is how much torque can be transferred through the 3 pins of the tool used for the door pillar screws :blink:

They are only security covers, the actual bolts are underneath

9 hours ago, monkie said:

) but fix a steel box round the switch terminals to block access to bypassing the terminals with a conductive twig from a nearby hedge.

I'm trying to help you here, you don't need access to the terminals and the twig does not need to conduct. No idea why you need to be  smart!

You snap a twig off at about the right diameter to be a tight fit and shove it in the hole! the friction is enough to hold the contacts closed and the security aspect of the switch is defeated.

I've done it dozens of times on plant and tractors when the key is somewhere else - its often more reliable than the proper key once they are a bit worn.

As I said, they are fine for an additional safety isolator.

Be careful putting metal enclosures round the contacts as they easily break off their mounting in an accident or even when kicked and then you have a big fire, if you must box it in make sure the enclosure is lined with substantial insulation.

Thanks Mo, I now have the X-Eng gearstick lock and the X Defender steering column lock now fitted. I agree, I like the visual deterent effect of the gearstick lock.

The X-Eng pedal lock will be fitted in the new year, the power cut off switch fitted tomorrow and the post fitted when I have my drive back shortly. I think that lot would significantly slow a theif down or hopefully make them move on.

1 minute ago, GW8IZR said:

I'm trying to help you here, you don't need access to the terminals and the twig does not need to conduct. No idea why you need to be  smart!

You snap a twig off at about the right diameter to be a tight fit and shove it in the hole! the friction is enough to hold the contacts closed and the security aspect of the switch is defeated.

I've done it dozens of times on plant and tractors when the key is somewhere else - its often more reliable than the proper key once they are a bit worn.

As I said, they are fine for an additional safety isolator.

Be careful putting metal enclosures round the contacts as they easily break off their mounting in an accident or even when kicked and then you have a big fire, if you must box it in make sure the enclosure is lined with substantial insulation.

Thanks for the input, I'm not trying to be smart, this is a serious subject about protecting Land Rovers from theives.

Your post made me think that you are right, a theif could open the door, lift the passenger seat and bridge the terminals with fencing or barbed wire from a hedge or just a screwdriver. This is why I came up with the box idea, but only for the negative terminal.