Mirror Switch Repair, D1,RRC,FrLand, FORD!! etc

miggit

This is a how to save the cost of a new mirror switch if yours is playing up, and covers just about every mid 90's LR, and other makes for that matter!

Firstly the switch is the 7 pin type found in just about everything british made in the mid 90's, but this may also work for the powerfold switches too (they look the same)

Step 1 getting into the guts.

I used some jewelers screwdrivers (2) to pop the casing apart but a small knife would also do..

RIMG0001.thumb.JPG.9cde997eabb1aa7bd5a1cb7e107a6dbf.JPG

Starting with the clip arrowed I was able to just release it and start the case opening. Now comes the tricky bit, you have to squeeze  the case so it doesn't close up and then release the top clip..

RIMG0002.thumb.JPG.a1f27759292abb3cb68c908256947ded.JPG

And then release the other side, so while still squeezing the case, flip it over and release the last clip at the plug end...it will then look like this..

RIMG0003.thumb.JPG.60b87977d02833b8a758800d4027d810.JPG

The case will now separate easily to look like this..

RIMG0004.thumb.JPG.58c31e564c6c55d163e0d0c2851dc240.JPG

Note the dark staining on the copper track, this is old grease and muck that has dried over the years. And this is a brand new never used switch, all be it NOS!

The next thing to do is to carefully prise the PCB (green bit) out of the rear case, just work your way around the sides lifting it a little everytime AND KEEP THE GREEN SIDE UP!! RIMG0005.thumb.JPG.75532762cf6fd122a59dff55c8836431.JPG

It will then look like this..

RIMG0006.thumb.JPG.de3b7f9eb5bd94b78b78a884cb19307b.JPG

At this point you need to clean the copper coloured bits! In an ideal world a fibreglass pencil would be the correct tool, but as it was late and I don't have one, so I found an alternative!

RIMG0007.thumb.JPG.d3f45480db969f66ec225321650c3ec9.JPG

Yup! a cotton bud with a bit of metal polish worked really well, I used Autosol, but Brasso, silvo or even an abrasive polish restorer, basically anything that polishes and doesn't colour or wax!

The end result..

RIMG0014.thumb.JPG.3a1809fa1108ffca2c1d8750d94e9300.JPG

I also gave the little dumbbell like plungers a wipe over with the cotton bud, but without the cleaner and checked that they weren't jammed, a little prod with a screwdriver will show you if they are moving, but don't try and lift them out as there are springs underneath, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Before I reassembled it, I gave it all a light dusting of switch and contact cleaner.

First you need to put the board back in to the back cover feeding the pins through the holes and keeping the board up and the case at the bottom, this will then hold the square plastic slider in place and you can flip it over!

Then you replace the back on to the switch, click it up and all is good to go!! 

• Thanks 1