If you value this forum's future please support us
Sign in to follow this  
Gazzar

Long wheel base axle types

This is just a thought experiment at the moment, but are the springs on a 2a LWB in the same place as a series 3? 

The reason I ask is I want to fit a rover diff rear axle to a LWB, not a Salisbury, and am trying to source an axle casing.

Why a rover, not a Salisbury? Lighter, as strong, once built by Nigel, and appropriate for a 2a styled vehicle.

G.

As Steve says, exactly the same. Make sure you find a casing from a S2 so you have the reinforcement underneath for the right look ;) If you can only find one from a 88" its not too hard to move the mounts though

I am pretty sure the reinforcement kits offered by Terra Firma could be easily adapted to fit the Series axle.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor rover axle reinforcement 

I think going for a 2a axle from a LWB would be the easiest route. If I can find one.....

On ‎05‎-‎12‎-‎2017 at 7:01 PM, AV8R said:

I am pretty sure the reinforcement kits offered by Terra Firma could be easily adapted to fit the Series axle.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor rover axle reinforcement 

They would be too long and doesn't really have that original look :) Also the short side is not reinforced on the S2.

But yeah a lot of people swapped them for Salisbury's back in the day so there should be some around still.

I've an armoured lightweight rear axle to copy for when I get the right axle, I suspect I'll be cutting down a piece of heavy wall box to get the strength I want.

Thanks all!

G.

I'd suggest uprating the half shafts, too, not just the diff; theyre weak enough on 88s, and LR changed the 109 to a Salisbury for good reason.  What gem is Nige going to build you?

Yes, half shafts are on list. This project is long way away, I've the light weight to build first.