KAM "Fuseable Stub shafts" CV Conversion Kits - Please respond !

Hybrid_From_Hell

What would be cool would be if you could make them with some sort of friction clutch or sprung ratchet system where it would slip before it broke anything but didn't break itself. Maybe with a dial on the outside like the free wheels hubs have so you can adjust it for stock diffs and shafts or upgraded diffs and shafts. I don't know if it can be done in the available space but we use a similar system on conveyors if they don't have current limiting drives to protect the motor. It's basically just a friction washer that you can tighten between a couple of plates. Obviously that's much lower torque so it might not be something that works.

Its a difficult one. I've got KAM CVs sat in the workshop ready to go in my front axle so I'd be after a spare or two. But having said that I'm wondering about putting some 300M shafts in the front to reduce the likelihood of diff damage so I would then be looking at 300M stubs. How much would they be for a small run? 

What are the KAM CVs made of Nige? 

It'd be useful to you to know what frequency of sales KAM had.  It'd also be worth knowing what the comp safari and other tough off road groups thought about them - many may have been put off by a reputation for them breaking too easily, already having upgraded their half shafts and diffs and being able to apply much more torque than these fusible shafts allowed.  If they knew a stronger version was in the pipeline, it could drum up a lot of interest from the competitive groups.  I'd suggest contacting some of the bigger organisations, and maybe the big distributors in the US and Oz, like Lucky8 and GBR, as they have a big market fr transmission upgrades, and I think you'd find a healthy market in both countries.

I looked at Ashcroft's site and they seem to be out of stock of their stubs.  Whether that means discontinued, I don't know.  But since you already have worked with them on the crown wheel bolt locking, they may be open to you working in partnership to do stubs.  It strikes me as not difficult have indestructible ones made up and then turn a groove yourself for those who want them fusible,  so you'd just need to run some tests on a few examples to determine the groove dimensions on the better grade material to allow them to protect uprated axles.  I'd ignore standard axles, selling the customers the indestructible or uprated grooved stubs - I think that market would be too small to be worth of the cost trials to determine a deeper groove's dimensions.

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/12/2017 at 3:21 PM, Hybrid_From_Hell said:

Additionally LATE LRs have the daft and serioulsy weak 32 spline CV - you can't upgrade shafts / CBs for these = so its a big jump

23 spline CVs there are variuous units

LONGs - fitted to early 100s etc

shorts - later units

Ealy no stub CV 60662 23 one end 10 the other with stubs retc as outlined above.

I ran 606662s for years - with ashcroft HD shafts and stubs with 10 spine ends, then upgraded to Qualiffe stubs (sadly NLA) which was a seriously strong unit

Standard CVs long or short are also quite strong - I would say 606662 and stubs are better

I watched your youtube video about the three shaft types, Nige.  Quite an education.  The last sentence of the above interests me - does that mean the CV and sub shaft of the early Discovery type (domed drive flange with integrated stub) is stronger than the contemporary 90/110/Defender unit with thick drive flange and 23 spline CV with integrated stub?  I had assumed the Defender version tougher but more expensive to produce, hence the RR and Disco having the other version.

Are those two CV versions interchangeable with the same stub axle tubes and swivel housings?  It's something that irks me, having the 110 rear axle and Disco front with mismatched hubs, and I presume there is no stub shaft that would allow the star type drive flanges to be fitted without replacing the CVs.

Have you come to a decision on whether to continue the KAM fusible shaft production yet, anyway, or is it too early to decide?